• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Feminist Interpretation (1 Viewer)

ben_au69

HSC
hey im kidna desperate for a feminist production and/or techniques

if anyone has ANYTHING please share, id rilli appreciate it

cos i wanna avoid making up a production

thanks heaps

Rowlooooooooooo

Cut theatre did a feminist production called Queen Lere that we went and saw.
It swapped the genders of the main characters, Lear to woman daughters to sons etc. Kent was the only character who didn't change gender.

You should be able to find some info on their website their may even be part of the script floating around somewhere. Thats all i can help you with though

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
The richard eyre one (bbc 1998) is mainly family/psychological BUT also has some feminist qualities (so i'm using it for both). I'm not sure if youve done it, but the main feminist ideas are..

*Cordelia is portrayed as more strong-willed and defiant, firstly in that Lear comes to her (instead of the other way around) at the end of the table, and she shows good judgement and no intimidation in her leaving remarks to her sisters "i know you... what you ARE"

*Characters of goneril & regan built up more, so we can sympathise with them rather than see them as purely evil - lear arrives at gonerils house with 100 rowdy knights, who trample all over her white house with muddy feet, then lear enters, shouts "dinner, ho dinner!" and therefore lear's harsh curses to her when she tries to tell him of for his behaviour seem a little uncalled for, and she breaks into tears, allowing audience to sympathise..

not great points for feminist, but theyll do for me! good luck! :p

Alecia

HSC
Have you heard of the Femenist production of "Lear's Daughters" it may help you. If you need any more info let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)