• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Format for answering prac questions (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
I know there's some specific stuff you have to say. I think it's like:
List safety issues and precautions taken, talk about what apparatus is needed, always specify the exact quantities of stuff you're using (e.g. don't just say we used cyclohexene - gotta say 6ml of cyclohexene). And then obviously you discuss your method and results and what it demonstrated/verified

Any other nuances though? Answering prac questions is my bane (cheap school that had like a grand total of like 6 bunsen burners LOL)

HSC
N/A
Be extremely careful when describing experiments. In my trial I had to describe the experiment for measuring the pH of different acids. I literally wrote this: "Use a pH meter to measure the pH of each acid at a known concentration. Wash the pH meter with distilled water after measuring each acid, before measuring another", and lost a mark because I didn't use the word "beaker". Teacher told me after about how your answers for these types of answers have to be well structured. She told me to write something like "Add the selected acids to different beakers, labeling the beakers with the names of the acids. Then measure each acid with a pH meter, but ensure to wash the pH meter with distilled water before measuring the next acid. Record results."

Also, I wouldn't worry about writing the volumes for everything. Some experiments are quantitative whereas others are qualitative. You would obviously want to write out volumes and stuff for something like gravimetric analysis to ensure a valid experiment, but for something like measuring the pH of acids it seems a bit redundant. Last year I obsessed about doing this in biology but I haven't been doing it as much in chemistry this year and I'm getting away with it. But I could be wrong on this, someone correct me if I am.

Last edited:

emilios

HSC
Be extremely careful when describing experiments. In my trial I had to describe the experiment for measuring the pH of different acids. I literally wrote this: "Use a pH meter to measure the pH of each acid at a known concentration. Wash the pH meter with distilled water after measuring each acid, before measuring another", and lost a mark because I didn't use the word "beaker". Teacher told me after about how your answers for these types of answers have to be well structured. She told me to write something like "Add the selected acids to different beakers, labeling the beakers with the names of the acids. Then measure each acid with a pH meter, but ensure to wash the pH meter with distilled water before measuring the next acid. Record results."

Also, I wouldn't worry about writing the volumes for everything. Some experiments are quantitative whereas others are qualitative. You would obviously want to write out volumes and stuff for something like gravimetric analysis to ensure a valid experiment, but for something like measuring the pH of acids it seems a bit redundant. Last year I obsessed about doing this in biology but I haven't been doing it as much in chemistry this year and I'm getting away with it. But I could be wrong on this, someone correct me if I am.
yes thank you that's what i was getting at. very helpful :)

i guess i'll just practise these style of q's more

Machiavelli1

HSC

I'm pretty sure its important to quantify applicable things when writing up a method, regardless it doesn't take long to write 5ml or whatever.

HSC
I'm pretty sure its important to quantify applicable things when writing up a method, regardless it doesn't take long to write 5ml or whatever.
True but also make sure the volume is of appropriateness. I.e (5mL of ethanol and 5ml of ethanoic acid were added, not 10000L of ethanol)

hahaha so much exaggeration in that last volume, just make sure volume is appropriate.

IR

HSC
True but also make sure the volume is of appropriateness. I.e (5mL of ethanol and 5ml of ethanoic acid were added, not 10000L of ethanol)

hahaha so much exaggeration in that last volume, just make sure volume is appropriate.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you leave a space between a number and the units. It's funny how you lose marks in HSC for not mentioning your glassware - in uni and later on in a chemistry career, you are penalised for mentioning glassware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)