• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

gaps between ranks (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
i understand that RANKS in the hsc are quite important, but does the gaps between the ranks make a difference to anything ?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
The closer the marks are to each other the better.

q3thefish

HSC
Ranks pretty much determine if you're going to live beyond the age of 30. So yeah, the higher you are, the better chances of survival buddy.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
the top ranked person gets the top mark, the bottom ranked person gets the bottom mark, and then the pool of marks left gets rationed out in the same proportions as your school assessment marks.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Ranks pretty much determine if you're going to live beyond the age of 30. So yeah, the higher you are, the better chances of survival buddy.
You're not funny.

the top ranked person gets the top mark, the bottom ranked person gets the bottom mark, and then the pool of marks left gets rationed out in the same proportions as your school assessment marks.
+1

youngminii

Banned
HSC
+1 to hermand.
Except there are outliers that are not included in this process.

sickk

HSC
what if your the top by a large margine, does that make you an outlier?

or do the only exclude the lower outlier?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
The BoS representative at my school only talked about the lower outlier. He didn't say anything about the top one, although if you were top by a large margin, I'd assume you would be..

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
The BoS representative at my school only talked about the lower outlier. He didn't say anything about the top one, although if you were top by a large margin, I'd assume you would be..
quick question about this, me and the person who is second are seperated by 1% then there is a large gap between us and the rest of the class. Will we be pulled down or treated as the outliers. Cause from what i know i would assume we would be outliers

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
quick question about this, me and the person who is second are seperated by 1% then there is a large gap between us and the rest of the class. Will we be pulled down or treated as the outliers. Cause from what i know i would assume we would be outliers
You will not be pulled down if you're ranked first or even if you have a small gap like 1%, the smaller the gap the better, it will drag you up

Lukybear

HSC
But the mark would be different if you get 1st internal, beating 2nd by 20% with a top external mark of 90 as opposed to a 1st internal beating 2nd by 1% with a top external mark of 90 right?

muscleman09

HSC
in all honesty, i think we waste too much time worrying about ranks and shit like that

we do the best we can, all will come good in the end, if u do ur best...

lets stop talking about it

yummy-cookies

HSC
is it true that the person who comes first internally will get the top mark acheived by their school in the hsc, regradless of if they totally bomb it? and the bottom person internally will get the bottom mark, no matter how well they do?

sickk

HSC
but its important to understand how you got the marks you did, and whats wrong with being a little curious? would you rather them not tell youw hat you got until the end lol

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
is it true that the person who comes first internally will get the top mark acheived by their school in the hsc, regradless of if they totally bomb it? and the bottom person internally will get the bottom mark, no matter how well they do?
In theory, yes. The first rank internally will get the top external mark and then eventually averaged out properly for their finals mark(s). If the person who achieved first rank internally absolutely bombed out on the externals... and by a lot I would assume that this would be investigated further (plagarism... tutors doing work etc.)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Not true.
Last year we got about 15 Band 6s for Mathematics 2U. However many who were ranked between 10-20 didn't achieve a Band 6 and I was ranked 22nd and I still got a Band 6.

Personally, I think it all depends on your performance in the external examination. Your internal assessment will be moderated based on your performance in that exam.

muscleman09

HSC
so if u come 5th (internally) for say "Subject A" and you get 90 RAW mark in that external exam, and the person coming 4th internally for that subject gets 85 RAW, does the person coming 4th get the 90 RAW mark instead?

So, basically, if you come 1st in a subject, and the person coming 20th gets the top mark for the subject ( 99), and you coming 1st got 90, do u get the 99 instead?

IF SO, hsc is totally fucked up, and unfair. They totally ruin our potentially good UAI by scaling us down...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
so if u come 5th (internally) for say "Subject A" and you get 90 RAW mark in that external exam, and the person coming 4th internally for that subject gets 85 RAW, does the person coming 4th get the 90 RAW mark instead?

So, basically, if you come 1st in a subject, and the person coming 20th gets the top mark for the subject ( 99), and you coming 1st got 90, do u get the 99 instead?

IF SO, hsc is totally fucked up, and unfair. They totally ruin our potentially good UAI by scaling us down...

The final HSC mark is made up of TWO marks - your exam mark and your moderated school assessment mark.

You always keep your exam mark so no matter how well or badly you do in the internals half your marks are the final exam mark. Hence a bottom ranked student who really studies hard can get a high exam mark, which they keep but they are also penalised for not working to their potential throughout the year. The same goes for the consistent worker who slacks off knowing they have done a lot of work but they can't be bothered over the last few weeks or so so get penalised with a lower exam mark, in all likelihood.

Your school assessment mark is moderated by the BOS using the total and range of exam marks earned by the school in the exam. The exam marks set the top and bottom of the range and the total exam marks earnt by the cohort are the total available to be allocated for the assessment marks.

Once the moderated mark and the external marks are determined they are average to give you your final HSC mark.

The system is fair, if assessment marks are to be included. The moderation is to stop teachers sending in the whole class with a mark of 100 and it allows students to showcase other skills they might have besides exam based skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)