• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General Maths - Field Diagrams?? (1 Viewer)

dim987654321

HSC
In the Measurement topic for the Prelim course there is a section on "Applications of area and Volume" one thing you have to do is use a "field diagram" to calculate the area of irregular shaped blocks of land

How do you do this, i have no idea, please help!!!

Aeriff

HSC
You will usually get the angles of the irregular shapes (the 'blocks' are always split into triangles for you), OR you can work the angles out using the cosine rule (cos A = (b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/(2bc)). You then use the formula A=1/2abSinC to work out the area of each triangle (note to use this formula you need to have 2 sides and their included angle).

dim987654321

HSC
You will usually get the angles of the irregular shapes (the 'blocks' are always split into triangles for you), OR you can work the angles out using the cosine rule (cos A = (b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/(2bc)). You then use the formula A=1/2abSinC to work out the area of each triangle (note to use this formula you need to have 2 sides and their included angle).
thanks mate, you kinda helped me out. it seems alot easier than expected. its just i got to tutor some kid and he's asking about field diagrams, i was just stressing thinking there is some fancy way of calculating the area of a block od land lol.

cheers ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)