• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Go8 and University Elitism: Does it Matter ? (1 Viewer)

Financialgoals2052

HSC
Hi.

So I am a 1st year students studying a double degree called Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. My aim is so focus on the business side and my IT degree is basically something which would make me gain some skill set like (Programming,Database and etc) so basically for knowledge . My goals is gaining a graduate role at an investment bank or any other sort of bank at the position of trading.I understand there is some rough hours and hard work involved but I am ready to take the effort.

Now this revolve my next question is that are employers (such as Inv.Banks ) are bias on what University has there graduate came from ?, do they want USYD OR UNSW students ? and what is the impression behind UTS:Business ?

I have been advice from some people that in order to get reach my goal, I would have to transfer into USYD or UNSW. But also I was looking into a couple of organisation such as FMAA, they don't have a branch in UTS but they do in UNSW and USYD. Involving myself into something like FMAA would be very beneficial for me.

This worries me because there isn't anything which appeal to me in both Unis. I knew people who did transfer from my degree to USYD or UNSW but they are doing Law/Comm, I don't like Law :spzz:. There is also the variable that my family members all graduate from UTS so I am fairly comfortable with the uni itself.

I may be interested in Engineering/Comm, but I forgot my maths esp Ext.1. But isn't there any foundation course I could do in UNSW or USYD so I could brush up my stuff ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Problem with UTS in general is the lack of clubs due to its "similar club" rule where a similar club cannot be made if one club is already catering in the area/interest of the new club. This basically only leaves two clubs in UTS for Business which is Business Soc and Investing Soc - The business society isn't poorly run however it is still behind it's counterparts in USYD and UNSW and the investing society - whilst good has little in partners and networks making a big lack of networking events and seminars run by XXX from XX IB company.

Basically Investment Banks do prefer UNSW or USYD because they have events with them and actually meet many of the people they recruit before hand at different events. There is a bit of bias since generally most come from UNSW or USYD as well but the major factor is that UNSW and USYD just have way more opportunities to get experience/extra-circulars and actually network with Investment Banks, which ultimately is the thing that steps someone above from UTS who only has marks and some semi-relevant experience to show.

TL;DR go UNSW or USYD - the range of programs and societies on offer alone stands above UTS which in general helps getting an interview for any jobs including IB

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Also you don't need to combine commerce with anything to have a shot at IB (combining it with something you don't like can actually have an adverse effect). Just aim to do honours in comm and you'll be fine, it will make you as competitive as the others.

I agree with Chronost's tldr btw

asi9

HSC
Almost everyone I met at final round interviews were from a Go8 - this means UNSW, USYD, UQ, etc. The exception was someone from Macquarie who I ran into several times and they were truly a wunderkind candidate.

With regards to degree, Com/LLB is always the most common due to its prestige and length. Other degrees, but not as common, are straight Com with hons in finance, Com/Eng, Com/Sci, Com/Eco and even Com (Liberal Studies) from USYD.

Flop21

HSC
What does Go8 stand for and what does it mean?

asi9

HSC
Group of 8. The Ivies (lol) of Australian universities.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Firstly you can just do straight comm and have an outstanding CV you'll get called in for an interview to an IB.
As the others said, going to usyd/unsw has a lot to do with connections. Although it isn't the most important thing for grad roles - it does help if the bank knows you. Probably need it because according to my penult mates who interviewed and got dem IB internships - shit was tough this year (particularly with heaps of interstate competition).

D94

HSC
N/A
I work at a bank and the great majority of those who have worked there for less than 5 years have come from a Go8 university, with the great majority of that coming from USYD and UNSW.

You can draw your own inferences and conclusions from that.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I work at a bank and the great majority of those who have worked there for less than 5 years have come from a Go8 university, with the great majority of that coming from USYD and UNSW.

You can draw your own inferences and conclusions from that.

A big 4 bank or IB? They would be similar i suppose.

enoilgam

HSC
TL;DR go UNSW or USYD - the range of programs and societies on offer alone stands above UTS which in general helps getting an interview for any jobs including IB
Old thread but this - it isnt "prestige", but moreso opportunity because UNSW and USyd have far more programs and industry connections on offer than other unis. It's very rare in this day and age for employers to discriminate directly on the basis of universities (it does happen though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)