• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

healthy, filling foods to take to uni? (1 Viewer)

Jess007

HSC
wat about those chicken ceaser salads from coles. they are so yum!!

CieL

HSC
I can't get enough of tortillas at uni.. [I'd make them if I could cook]

They put chicken, mayo, rocket, shallots, onions, etc inside and I find tortillas more enjoyable to eat than plain bread as it isn't so dry and doesn't really get drenched in moisture..

I haven't had Coles chicken caesar before, but the ones from Woolies are so godly.. it's in a packaged box already, with all the ingredients [lettuce, bacon, cheese, chicken, dressing] seperated... also with a fork inside!
It's not exactly filling though... because I eat a lot...

Jess007

HSC
CieL said:
I can't get enough of tortillas at uni.. [I'd make them if I could cook]

I haven't had Coles chicken caesar before, but the ones from Woolies are so godly.. it's in a packaged box already, with all the ingredients [lettuce, bacon, cheese, chicken, dressing] seperated... also with a fork inside!
It's not exactly filling though... because I eat a lot...

yeh the coles ones are the same. both really good. yeh they fill me up. but yeh i guess it wouldnt really be very much thinking about it..its mainly just the lettuce...so good though

that tortilla you mentioned soundedreally appealing lol

kloudsurfer

HSC
Chicken, pasta (pasta salad) and avocado salad, with cracked black pepper.

We sell it at work, and i love it so i make my own now! Its delicious!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I agree with all the salad people, you just add your favourite veges and some sort of meat (keep it cool, obviously).

Little packets of things are awesome. Tiny teddies, sakatas, mixed nuts, dried fruit, whatever floats your boat. Go shopping and see what you like. Then you can just chuck them in your bag, no prep required.

CieL

HSC
scarybunny said:
Little packets of things are awesome. Tiny teddies, sakatas, mixed nuts, dried fruit, whatever floats your boat.
But not filling.....

I hate little packets of stuff. They leave you half hanging and disappointed when you get to the bottom and you're still hungry. I end up having 5 packets of little things instead of one.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
make stuff the night before, e.g. pasta, rice, salads and so on. then you can just chuck it in your bag the next morning and it'll fill you up when you eat it.

i should take my own advice. only i tend to get home either when dinner is cooking (i.e. no using the kitchen) or too late to be bothered (around 10pm). so i go with the whole make-a-sandwich-and-chuck-a-few-pieces-of-fruit-in thing in the morning.

HSC
I've been making my own Sushi, freezing it, and then taking it to uni in containers that day. By the time it's lunchtime, it's already thawed, and still has that nice cold freshness to it.

That and Mi Goreng noodles. I make it that morning, put it into a container, and at lunchtime, find a microwave (And I'm sure PLENTY of Unis will have at least one in a cafeteria area), heat it, and voila!

Get some odd looks from time to time (Then again, Sushi is quite foreign in a rural university like mine), but save myself up to $25 a week not having to buy lunch, money which can then be wasted on drinking on Friday night :)

ippie

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
make stuff the night before, e.g. pasta, rice, salads and so on. then you can just chuck it in your bag the next morning and it'll fill you up when you eat it.

i should take my own advice. only i tend to get home either when dinner is cooking (i.e. no using the kitchen) or too late to be bothered (around 10pm). so i go with the whole make-a-sandwich-and-chuck-a-few-pieces-of-fruit-in thing in the morning.
...how does that work?

You cook your pasta and whatever and shove it in teh fridge

the next morning you take it out and go to uni at say 9am

you eat at like 12pm. so for 4 hrs, your food is like warming up in your bag or whatever

i dunno, just sounds a bit dodgy. Like cold food -> bag -> eat

i see so many ppl at uni with pasta and rice and stuff and they microwave it
but it's like... ew? 4hrs in your bag?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If it's frozen, it stays cold for a long time. Cold enough that you don't get sick from it.

Just be careful with meat and dairy, freeze a drink bottle to keep it cool if you've just refridgerated it.

Edit- plus you're reheating it, so most bacteria that has grown will be killed off. If everybody does it and nobody gets sick, what does that say?

whiteboy123

HSC
NorthWestClouds said:
I've been making my own Sushi, freezing it, and then taking it to uni in containers that day. By the time it's lunchtime, it's already thawed, and still has that nice cold freshness to it.

That and Mi Goreng noodles. I make it that morning, put it into a container, and at lunchtime, find a microwave (And I'm sure PLENTY of Unis will have at least one in a cafeteria area), heat it, and voila!

Get some odd looks from time to time (Then again, Sushi is quite foreign in a rural university like mine), but save myself up to $25 a week not having to buy lunch, money which can then be wasted on drinking on Friday night :)
i go to boarding school and we live off mi goreng.. but its fucking bad for you. deep fried noodles served with a side of oil and soy sauce... sounds tasty

HSC
whiteboy123 said:
i go to boarding school and we live off mi goreng.. but its fucking bad for you. deep fried noodles served with a side of oil and soy sauce... sounds tasty
Agree entirely! (Except in my case, I live on campus at CSU Wagga Wagga!)

Mi Goreng is like a second currency here, for all the smart bastards out there who know how to buy them in bulk from Cabramatta! :p

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
What about:

- Fresh fruit.
- Homemade pizza slices
- Orange juice and water instead of coke etc.
- Cheese!

If you get stuck at uni without food you could always try subway (Newcastle uni has one, don't know about CSU) or one of the uni cafes for a salad.

Roguedeth

HSC
scarybunny said:
If it's frozen, it stays cold for a long time. Cold enough that you don't get sick from it.

Just be careful with meat and dairy, freeze a drink bottle to keep it cool if you've just refridgerated it.

Edit- plus you're reheating it, so most bacteria that has grown will be killed off. If everybody does it and nobody gets sick, what does that say?
not if the bacteria has already produced its toxin heating it wont destroy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)