• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help for Subject Selection (2 Viewers)

maths94

HSC
English Advanced-[2U]
Mathematics Extension 1-[3U]
Chemistry-[2U]
Physics-[2U]
Engineering Studies-[2U]
Economics-[2U]

I would like to do some engineering course in University if i make it.

After all the options and ideas given to me, also not to mention all the help by the bos forums members i have finally chosen my subjects for year 11. :jedi:

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hi there! Your subject selections look pretty good to me although im going to point out some things.

Are you going to do well in physics and engineering studies? Cos theyre both very demanding subjects and according to your reports you seem to be stuggling with science; 68% just wont cut it lol. Then i suppose you do want to be an engineer so put some good hard work into science and itll be alright

Youll do fine with 13units. it helps you not to procrastinate with the load.

Thats about it. Hope that helps:).

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
your science rank is alright, also why ipt?

have you considered history?

maths94

HSC
Hi there! Your subject selections look pretty good to me although im going to point out some things.

Are you going to do well in physics and engineering studies? Cos theyre both very demanding subjects and according to your reports you seem to be stuggling with science; 68% just wont cut it lol. Then i suppose you do want to be an engineer so put some good hard work into science and itll be alright

Youll do fine with 13units. it helps you not to procrastinate with the load.

Thats about it. Hope that helps:).
u say i got 68percent yes thats true but u also got to look at the ranking aswell. Maths is Also a major factor in both engineering and physics. So that will help me alot. Also hav you seen my yr 9 yearly report 4th in year/class for science so its not like i do not hav the knowledge for physics. I went bad in science half yearly mainly due to the fact of my assignment making some 3D Model. lol

Last edited:

maths94

HSC
your science rank is alright, also why ipt?

have you considered history?
well u probably hav known of lines...line-3 in which i picked ipt there was not much to offer..there was chemistry (oriite)<--but i am alreading doing a science subject physics....food tech<--no..p/e<--no i h8 it lol ...geography was oriite but i heard ipt links abit to engineering so yeah..i was thinking geography but i didnt see how it could mix with others... ...and i could not pik history as the lines put me down for that ...example wen i choose business there was history in that line and i like business studies bttr..

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
well u probably hav known of lines...line-3 in which i picked ipt there was not much to offer..there was chemistry (oriite)<--but i am alreading doing a science subject physics....food tech<--no..p/e<--no i h8 it lol ...geography was oriite but i heard ipt links abit to engineering so yeah..i was thinking geography but i didnt see how it could mix with others... ...and i could not pik history as the lines put me down for that ...example wen i choose business there was history in that line and i like business studies bttr..
U'll easily achieve 80+ Atar, 90 looks very possible as your rankings are all very strong from years 9 and 10.

Physics, depends on whether you have the ability to sometimes think deeper than the textbook, linking with society, BUT engineering should be easy for you, as your maths is pretty strong (2nd out of top class...:):):))

Put some effort in, and you'll see the marks flow in thick and fast. :rofl:

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
ohh, we haven't even completed our initial surveys to make the lines

maths94

HSC
U'll easily achieve 80+ Atar, 90 looks very possible as your rankings are all very strong from years 9 and 10.

Physics, depends on whether you have the ability to sometimes think deeper than the textbook, linking with society, BUT engineering should be easy for you, as your maths is pretty strong (2nd out of top class...:):):))

Put some effort in, and you'll see the marks flow in thick and fast. :rofl:
As i am getting alot of stress on physics lol wat other subject could b an alternative.? Also what are u trying to say '''''Physics, depends on whether you have the ability to sometimes think deeper than the textbook, linking with society'''''''''''''''

Last edited:

maths94

HSC
ohh, we haven't even completed our initial surveys to make the lines
oh well we hav lol and yeah so should ipt b oriite...like considerings the scaling up etc scaling down....i do not know much about that...but is ipt a good/oriite subject in the terms in how it get marks in the hsc

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ok well this is pretty much the topic of most threads in this area of the site. Well I will give u my marks and ranks for my half yearly report this year ..yr10 and my yearly yr 9 results..Then i will give u for what i chose for yr 11/12. TY :D btw im in all top classes.

December 2008-Yr9 Yearly
English-B
Maths-66/10-....[6/29<--ranking
Science-79/100..[4/27
Sport Science-59/100..[2/10
Geography-86/100..[7/70
Commerce-91/100..[4/36
Food.Tech.-75/100..[8/18
P.E-63/100..[26/29< lol i h8 it

June 2009-Yr 10 half yearly Report
English-B
Maths-86/100..[2/32
Science-68/100...[19/138<--ranking
Sport Science-68...[23/51
Geography-77/10..[7/137
History..77/100...[16/139
Commerce..75/100..[9/37
Food Tech..67/100..[36/77
P.E..57/100..[93/138

Hopefully with those Results you can see my weaknesses and my strengths,,Know the Subjects i want to chose for yr 11/12.. My Plan is to become an engineer. Some Sort of engineer lol.

English Standard-[2U]
Mathematics Extension 1-[3U]
IPT(Information Process Technology)-[2U]
Physics-[2U]
Engineering Studies-[2U]
Business Studies-[2U]

Thats 13 units and that is the Subjects i wish to choose in yr 11/12. Could u guys tell me if this will work out for me and tell me which subjects to change and your reason why I should. Thank You for Your help. tC--btw i enjoy maths and succeed in it :D

---

I am searrching for an ATAR mark of 80+ could this b achievable by undertaking these subjects..... Also is there much difference betwwen Ext.1 and Ext.2 Mathematics?
Comment from my friend - "Honey, are you feeling alright? The difference between mxt1 and mxt2 is the distance between the beginning of the grand canyon and its end!"

You basically should do mxt2 if you are considering engineering as they hit you with it in 1st year uni. But it's a subject you can only pick in year 12 so concentrate on acing 3U and pick it up if you're getting ~75% in it :)

Seeing as you are top in all your classes, it would be wise to pick decent/high scaling subjects that you wouldn't mind doing as it would make a high ATAR aim more easily obtainable ;)

What's wrong with doing more than one science? I am and a few of my close friends do all 3 of the main sciences :p BTW, the HSC chem is more of a science based course than HSC physics because they decided to screw up the physics syllabus a few years back so now it's mostly theory ><"

HSC IPT is an easy course made for stupid people based on super, super, super basic programming that i learnt in year 8 in a few weeks by myself. I suggest that you don't do it because it's a waste of time with crappy scaling.

By the way, if you like business then you should think of doing economics if possible instead of business studies. Not only does it scale higher but i've heard that it's much more enjoyable than business studies which is a boring extension year 9 and 10 commerce.

maths94

HSC
Comment from my friend - "Honey, are you feeling alright? The difference between mxt1 and mxt2 is the distance between the beginning of the grand canyon and its end!"

You basically should do mxt2 if you are considering engineering as they hit you with it in 1st year uni. But it's a subject you can only pick in year 12 so concentrate on acing 3U and pick it up if you're getting ~75% in it :)

Seeing as you are top in all your classes, it would be wise to pick decent/high scaling subjects that you wouldn't mind doing as it would make a high ATAR aim more easily obtainable ;)

What's wrong with doing more than one science? I am and a few of my close friends do all 3 of the main sciences :p BTW, the HSC chem is more of a science based course than HSC physics because they decided to screw up the physics syllabus a few years back so now it's mostly theory ><"

HSC IPT is an easy course made for stupid people based on super, super, super basic programming that i learnt in year 8 in a few weeks by myself. I suggest that you don't do it because it's a waste of time with crappy scaling.

By the way, if you like business then you should think of doing economics if possible instead of business studies. Not only does it scale higher but i've heard that it's much more enjoyable than business studies which is a boring extension year 9 and 10 commerce.
Oh k wen i get bak to school il see what i can change but from what u sed il definately change ipt to chem as they are both in same line....and i think business is in same line as economics :D..Do You believe i could achieve an ATAR over 80+ i would b so excited lol and so happy!!! Also say i change form IPT to chem and busines stud. to economics would these subjects b a good pik?

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Oh k wen i get bak to school il see what i can change but from what u sed il definately change ipt to chem as they are both in same line....and i think business is in same line as economics :D..Do You believe i could achieve an ATAR over 80+ i would b so excited lol and so happy!!! Also say i change form IPT to chem and busines stud. to economics would these subjects b a good pik?
You should be able to get an ATAR over 80 if you continue to work hard :)

Your subjects would be very good if you change those 2 subjects then you'll be doing high scaling subjects. It makes getting a high ATAR easier BUT remember that you are more likely to do better in subjects that you like, so i suggest that you flick through a HSC text book and make sure that you wouldn't mind doing chem and IPT.

Divinity_

HSC
be like me and do

4u maths, english adv, chem and phys. ^_^

my friend told me its the asian combo or sth x]

lychnobity

HSC
bump agen lol
What else do you want? annabackwards gave a good assessment of what you can do already.

We can't tell you if you'll get 80+ for sure or not, solely based on your subjects and your academic history from years 9 and 10.

Do want assurance? A bare minimum of what you can achieve? No one can give you those things. Find them yourself.

As for your subjects. Just do the damned Asian combo if you don't have any idea.

maths94

HSC
What else do you want? annabackwards gave a good assessment of what you can do already.

We can't tell you if you'll get 80+ for sure or not, solely based on your subjects and your academic history from years 9 and 10.

Do want assurance? A bare minimum of what you can achieve? No one can give you those things. Find them yourself.

As for your subjects. Just do the damned Asian combo if you don't have any idea.
ok sorry just im abit nervous and wondering all the options i can do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)