• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help I can't write an AoS essay in less than 45 mins (1 Viewer)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
IcEy said:
I found it most useful to get all your english notes done, like quotes and stuff from your modules and texts, and then just sit down, get an unseen essay question, and write for 40 mins. Then get teacher to mark it - a real HSC marker teacher.

Chances are the questions you get in trials aren't going to be ones you've seen before, so you might as well try simluate that as much as possible.
This is what i have done and it still takes me an hour or a little less!

Any tips? I plan to keep on writing them until Friday... unless my arm drops off with a break tomorrow for French Cont.

Dr_Doom

HSC
sandersen said:
This is what i have done and it still takes me an hour or a little less!

Any tips? I plan to keep on writing them until Friday... unless my arm drops off with a break tomorrow for French Cont.
How many texts are you doing and how many pages did you get in in 45 minutes?

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
6 text - 1 related, 1stimulus and 4 poems for imagined corners.
5 pages of reasonably normal-sized neatish handwriting
I can't cut any texts out

Dr_Doom

HSC
You could base your paragraphs by concepts, then just refer to different texts. Or are you already doing that?

Alternatively you could spend less time in the other two sections to give you about 10 minutes more in the last section. I've read people can do section 1 pretty well in 30 - 35 minutes.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I do it by concepts so I have intro, para 1 (2 texts), para 2 (2 texts), para 3(2 texts) and conclusion. There's just so much to write!

I guess I'll have to be extremely time concious. Do you think it would be better to write the essay first or last? First I risk not finishing the other sections, however if I do it last I might not finish it...

Dr_Doom

HSC
sandersen said:
I do it by concepts so I have intro, para 1 (2 texts), para 2 (2 texts), para 3(2 texts) and conclusion. There's just so much to write!

I guess I'll have to be extremely time concious. Do you think it would be better to write the essay first or last? First I risk not finishing the other sections, however if I do it last I might not finish it...
You should do section 1 first, so that you can read the stimulus material during reading time, and go straight into answering the questions.

Then you should do your essay next. Because if you fall short on the story, theres tons of ways to end it.

Only 3 paragraphs in your whole essay? I think you split up your paragraphs into more paragraphs, because when the examiners mark your paper, they don't read word for word, they will skim through in about 2 minutes and if you have many paragraphs that will suggest you have many ideas. They will probably read 2 or 3 paragraphs.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
n@ttyb said:
fuck why so many texts.. i only doin 3 lol
Well we study a couple of poems that are half a page each or so. I imagine that you refer to your prescribed text at least four times...

And four x half page is good, compared to hundreds of pages or hundreds of minutes of film...

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Only 3 paragraphs in your whole essay? I think you split up your paragraphs into more paragraphs, because when the examiners mark your paper, they don't read word for word, they will skim through in about 2 minutes and if you have many paragraphs that will suggest you have many ideas. They will probably read 2 or 3 paragraphs.
Well they're quite long paragraphs I guess, but I can't really separate them, and don't really want to at this stage anyway! I have my thesis statement, then I talk about one text what type of journey it is and techniques that tell me this, and then talk abotu the next and do the same and compare them, then conclude the paragraph with sentence slightly differently phrased to the opening or one that elaborates on it. I do that three times, add a conclusion and intro and bobs ya.

Vicsta

HSC
Im doin 4 texts, journeys over land and sea from BOS immigrants at cenral station and crossing the red sea and lost in translation, on a4 paper comes out 9 pages, on exam writing booklet 13 pages :| dont ask how im gonna get it done in 45min :D

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
4 precribed texts?? :confused:

no wonder you can't get it out in time!

I've written paragraphs for all 4 of my prescribed (coleridge poems), 2 stimulus and 2 related... but in the exam I will only write on 2 prescribed, 1 stimulus and 1 related unless otherwise asked for something else.

Latest feedback from marking centre after last year was that quality far outweighs quality. I'm sure you'll find that in your paragraphs on 4 related texts it might get a bit repetitive and there surely must be content that can be cut down.

Why not talk of 2 texts in thorough detail and save yourself the time, rather than 4 of them and have to rush and risk confusing the marker or, worse, not getting it written in time?

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In the reading time, look at the questions of section I first, cos they usually give an indication as to what the 'theme' is for that paper (2005 was discoveries/learning). When you've read through those, look at section III, have an outline of your argument or thesis. Then look at section II, think about it for a while, then start reading or skimming through the texts in section I.

everyone does it differently, but this is when I intend to do this friday.

as for the time constraints, I share the same problem with sanderson...thats why I do section III first, get it out of the way, then section I and II.

wish I could just type it up argh #$%^ I'm so much of a perfectionist I can't bear to transform my writing ino scribbles (and plus I don't know anyother 'fonts' I can write in)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
frankyd said:
Latest feedback from marking centre after last year was that quality far outweighs quality.
Lol but seriously I think I'm just going to write as much as fast as I can and stuff the hand writing.

Thanks for the tip fallen__angel ! :)

Good luck for tomorrow everyone, I've got to write my creative writing!

Naylyn

HSC
If you get to the last 10 minutes and you still have heaps of stuff to write start doing it in point form, you won't get as good marks as if you had done it in full but you will get better marks than if you had just not finished putting all of your ideas on paper.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Well it's too late now to change it... I think. I gave an essay to my teacher today and he put it in A range so I'm OK with that. Although maybe he did it so I wouldn't stess out lol!
Oh well there's not a whole lot I can do now - I will be sleeping tonight!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Keep your 6 texts. I did 6 and got a band 6 in the exam last yr. Just cut out the wordiness and focus on what you are trying to say with examples to the text. That way you dont waste much time. Make sure you ask for extra booklets early in the exam, as near the end lots of people ask for more booklets, and you have to wait.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)