• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP - I'm Asian so I'm Smart: Questionnaire for Preliminary Society & Culture. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawd

HSC
My research topic focuses on the impact of the value of education on communication between teenagers and their parents. Most especially Chinese-Australians from migrant families with strong virtues about education.

However, anyone can complete the questionnaire because it will assist me with my research. Thanks.

Please complete by Wednesday 13th August or sooner if possible. Thursday is the absolute deadline.

Disclaimer: The information you provide will be strictly used for analytical and research purposes. You have the right to your privacy and can refrain from answering any question you deem offensive to yourself. Thank you very much.

1. What is your ethnicity? (please circle) Chinese/Other Asian (Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, Japanese etc.)/Caucasian/Other (please state)

2. What is your age?

3. What is your gender? Male/Female

4. Have your parent(s)[or guardian(s)], in any way or other, influenced your education? (eg. did they convince you to do tutoring, ask you to do homework or study etc.) YES/NO
If you answered no, please skip to question 6.

i) How? (please be as detailed as you can J)

5. Have your parents impacted on your subject selections at school? (eg. did they force you to do certain subjects, help and discussed with you about subject choices etc.) YES/NO

i) How?

6. How easy do you find it to talk to your parents about issues regarding education? (eg. Quitting tutoring, problems with study, failed tests, dropping subjects etc.)
Very Difficult / Hard / Normal / Easy / Very Easy

7. Do you feel pressured by your parents to do well in school? YES/NO

If you answered no, please skip next question.
i) Why?

End of questionnaire. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :) :) :)

Last edited:

louise08

HSC
1. What is your ethnicity? (please circle) Chinese/Other Asian (Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, Japanese etc.)/Caucasian/Other (please state)

2. What is your age? 16

4. Have your parent(s)[or guardian(s)], in any way or other, influenced your education? (eg. did they convince you to do tutoring, ask you to do homework or study etc.) YES/NO
If you answered no, please skip to question 7.

They just tell me to do what I think is right. They trust me to work to my potential, so they don't put any pressure on me. But they do encourage and motivate me.

5. Have your parents impacted on your subject selections at school? (eg. did they force you to do certain subjects, help and discussed with you about subject choices etc.) YES/NO

i) How?
They gave me advice. But they wanted me to choose what I enjoyed most.

6. How easy do you find it to talk to your parents about issues regarding education? (eg. Quitting tutoring, problems with study, failed tests, dropping subjects etc.)

i) Why?

End of questionnaire. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

bubblesss

HSC

2. What is your age? 16

they always support me in my studies

i) How?

i) Why?
End of questionnaire.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC

2. What is your age? 17

i) How? (please be as detailed as you can)
Seriously, by threatening to kick me out of the house permanently if I dropped out of school at the end of year ten (which I wanted to)

i) How? -

i) Why? Coz apparently they both have mediocre lives... 'I need to work hard to make sure I don't end up mediocre too..'

gloworm14

HSC
N/A

2. What is your age? 17

I've been to a billion different tutoring places, mostly because i hated it and refused to go, but my parents especially my mum forced me to go tutoring so ive always been to one. I have one on one now, which is better than the rest.

I've been put into chinese saturday school when i was little, but being a rebel i refused to go so i stopped going completely

i) How?

Maths
They think it's the most important subject because they think it's the most easiest to get 100% in because it has formulas and the answers are either right or wrong.

It's quite easy for me to tell them that i dont want to do something, but its hard for them to understand me because they have it drilled into their heads that they think its the best thing for me.

i) Why?
I dont think it's an asian thing. I think anyone would be pressured by their parents to do well. I think i even pressure myself more than my parents do. I understand that all they want is the best for me, especially those who have migrated here from China but they have been brought up with a strict way of life where discipline and the correct attitude is a norm from their childhood, but they dont understand that the lifestyle of their younger generations of Asian Australian differ as they have been brought up exposed with both the Australian and Chinese culture. I think it's just a miscommunication and a clash of cultural values/beliefs.

Hope that helps =)

bawd

HSC
Thank you very much for the responses so far. All excellent and very helpful. Keep them coming!

-tal-

HSC

2. What is your age? 16

. This, you can guess ;)

They did get me to go tutoring, but let me quit when I wanted to. But I go to a different tutor now (got talked into it).

i) How? (please be as detailed as you can
J) The occasional question about my tests etc. Actually have gotten a few lectures (3-5) about my study habits.

5. Have your parents impacted on your subject selections at school? (eg. did they force you to do certain subjects, help and discussed with you about subject choices etc.) YES/NO yes and no. I did take them into consideration without them knowing.

i) How? They didn’t force me into anything, just heavily suggested career paths. I chose everything myself, sure, I talked to them, but I mainly kept them in the dark.

Can vary between the parent. My dad is easier to talk to, so it’s easy, he knows. My mum’s a different story. I’ve never talked to her about my education.

i) Why? Mainly because I feel bad if I waste everything they have “invested” in me. I’m mostly self motivated, I refuse to let my pride be shattered.

SimonLee13

HSC
1. What is your ethnicity? (please circle) Chinese

2. What is your age? 17

3. What is your gender? Male

i) How? (please be as detailed as you can J) Constant badgering of how school's going, advising me to do coaching for yr 11+12 etc which I took up.

5. Have your parents impacted on your subject selections at school? (eg. did they force you to do certain subjects, help and discussed with you about subject choices etc.) No, I chose subjects I wanted, they didn't have a say =D. They wanted me to do at least 1 science but I refused as I am horrible at them.

i) How? Talked generally how, without a science subject, there are less options at uni. Giving general advice from their experiences I guess.

My dad has a lassize-faire attitude, he believes It's purely up to me and nothing else. Mum is more assertive in her opinions. Generally supportive, even when I do fail assessments (esp maths).

i) Why? I finally realised that, although it seems like they are fairly demanding, it is for my own good. Realised a few days ago actually. Their pressure is just their way of trying to get me a better education and thus better opportunities.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
My research topic focuses on the impact of the value of education on communication between teenagers and their parents. Most especially Chinese-Australians from migrant families with strong virtues about education.

However, anyone can complete the questionnaire because it will assist me with my research. Thanks.

Please complete by Wednesday 13th August or sooner if possible. Thursday is the absolute deadline.

Disclaimer: The information you provide will be strictly used for analytical and research purposes. You have the right to your privacy and can refrain from answering any question you deem offensive to yourself. Thank you very much.

2. What is your age? 17

My dad's always on my back to get back to study, and he also spent a MASSIVE ammount of his time teaching me and my brothers when we were younger.

i) How?

My dad seemed to have a pretty good knowledge about high school and subject selection (no doubt because he saw each of my other brothers go through the same thing) and so he gave me his opinions. Although, in the end, he did leave it up to me. If it was up to him, I'd be doing all the sciences and 4 unit maths!

Very (very, very) Difficult / Hard / Normal / Easy / Very Easy

i) Why?

My dad seems to be pegging all his hopes on me because each of my other brothers didn't do to well in their HSC, and so I'm his last hope.

P.S. I don't live in a dictatorship family where my dad rules the place. I only mention my dad because I don't have a mum. :)

xJennax

HSC

2. What is your age? 17

i) How?

i) Why?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

2. What is your age? 18

convinced me not to drop out in year 10

i) How?

i) Why? im the only child out of three who is going to get a HSC

End of questionnaire. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :) :) :)
[/quote]

bawd

HSC
Again, I thank everyone who has responded. If you would like to respond, but don't want it posted on here for everyone to see, please PM me your answers instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)