• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help interpret a telling the truth essay question? (1 Viewer)

unfold

HSC
‘Telling the truth is often presented as a value that is universally understood and accepted’. Discuss how various representation of telling the truth reinforce/challenge this view.

So above it a question on telling the truth. what i dont understand is..are we meant to side with one? that is, either /1/ reinforce OR challenge the view... or /2/ that depending on the texts i use, reinforce AND challenge this view.

Also, another problem, because you know how telling the truth mostly comprise of complications such as hidden agendas, bias etc. i keep thinking that i should approach the question with /1/ in mind. because obviously every different text has their own truth to side of things and BEING SO, should be considered a universal value itself.

HSC
N/A
I actually interpret the question as saying "it's widely understood that everyone should tell the truth. Thus, telling the truth is a *value*."

I believe that you should be able to do (2), actually. Because the statement has merit - without the belief that people *should* tell the truth, Hughes wouldn't have gone to all the effort in his Birthday Letters to say "this is how *I* remember it as, I do NOT say that it is the truth" (or something to that effect). However, it's also true that some parties with greatly distort or manipulate the truth to their own personal ends. Using a variety of different texts, you can show how different authors hold this value of "truth" in their own unique way. Whilst the question suggests an "either or" response, you are not specifically restricted to one.

However, if you feel very strongly that is to either challenge OR reinforce, then go for it :) The generic information used may be muchly the same, but it's also a strength of argument they're looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)