• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help me find courses :( (2 Viewers)

yups

HSC
hello, i'm a bit lost at the moment .. i'm in year 12 and still have no idea what i want to do when i finish school, whereas all my friends know what they want to do, what their course requires and what the cutoff is etc

so i'm just wondering .. where do i find that stuff out :S .. is there a website or something with a list of all the courses available, the subjects required and the atar cutoffs for those courses ?

(i went on the uac site but it required you to search the courses .. but i don't even know which courses are available :( )

LordPc

HSC
well there is this book, forgot what its called, but it is very thick and it has a massive stack of jobs inside. it has a description, what personal qualities you need to be good at this job, what qualifications, stuff like that

they handed them out at my school. if u go to your careers advisor, im sure they will have the latest version of this book.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
You should get the 'UAC 2010 Guide' off an 09'er that you know. The 2011 version is awhile away. Otherwise search the net for a profession you're interested in and then search courses for that profession using google.

HSC
Job Guide 2009
This is what LordPC is talking about, pretty helpful if you're unsure of what career path you want to pursue

chefman21

HSC
N/A
As someone who has being in your position (way back in 2000) don't feel as though you have to go to university. By all means, take your time with making your decision. Have a look at apprenticeships (I did. I'm a qualified chef. It's taken me around the world and I've worked with some of the greatest chef's alive including Tetsuya, Alain Ducasse, Neil Perry and yes Gordon Ramsay), think about travelling overseas for a year or two in a non english speaking country, working here and there for a few months or even take a look at TAFE. This isn't the be all and end all! Despite what people say.

yups

HSC
does the Job Guide list every possible job there is?

kfnmpah

HSC
does the Job Guide list every possible job there is?
Pretty close to it. I remember it had stuff like 'milliner' and something to do with stationary and office supplies and something else to do with tropical fish. It was excellent (Y)

philphie

Banned
HSC
don't worry if you still don't know what to do, some people don't by the end of year 12 and all your friends will probably change their minds at some point or another

yups

HSC
are there any uni courses that are decent (and lead to considerably high-paying jobs), which don't involve any maths or sciences?
(because they're my weak points but all the high-paying jobs seem to involve maths and/or science ><)

amirite

HSC
VTAC:Courses:CourseSearch Results

Thats what I use. VTAC Coursearch but its for VCE/Victoria.
Theyd have the same courses in NSW. I assume they have a similar search engine type thing too.

Actually I think this is Search for courses at participating institutions - UAC undergraduate website

Press the course code for a more detailed description and if youre really interested find the course on the university site which it is offered at.

Im dont do any difficult maths or sciences because it annoys me. Im looking at jobs in business, management and psychology (different sort of science) and these are usually done through commerce, arts or psychology degrees. You will most likely need maths or science for any course but nothing you arent capable of doing if you reach the required ATAR.

yups

HSC
VTAC:Courses:CourseSearch Results

Thats what I use. VTAC Coursearch but its for VCE/Victoria.
Theyd have the same courses in NSW. I assume they have a similar search engine type thing too.

Actually I think this is Search for courses at participating institutions - UAC undergraduate website

Press the course code for a more detailed description and if youre really interested find the course on the university site which it is offered at.

Im dont do any difficult maths or sciences because it annoys me. Im looking at jobs in business, management and psychology (different sort of science) and these are usually done through commerce, arts or psychology degrees. You will most likely need maths or science for any course but nothing you arent capable of doing if you reach the required ATAR.
oh thank you =) . i was looking at doing psychology too but then i realised science was involved ><

amirite

HSC
oh thank you =) . i was looking at doing psychology too but then i realised science was involved ><
Not much science at all IMO. Unless you do it through a science degree and you have to minor in biology or something shit like that.
If you do arts you can minor in criminology or something relevant and not involving science.
You can also do it through a bachelor of psych which is what you would want.
Im looking at a course that is a bachelor of applied science with a major in psych. The only real science is neuroscience but studying the brain is interesting. Theres no chemistry or physics involved I dont think, if thats what youre worried about.

Another area im looking at is planning. Urban planning specifically. You might be interested if you like business and design type things.

Have a look at these courses.
B Science (Psychology)/B Laws at Uni of Canberra

and
B Planning at University of New South Wales

philphie

Banned
HSC
go to business school. you can be the biggest idiot in the world just so long as you look good in a suit, take risks and you're greedy big money!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

P.T.F.E

HSC
yeah mate i wouldnt worry about ur uni preferences just yet... woryy about gettin through the hsc first and it will work out...when the uac books come out just start thinking about it... as long as u apply for uac then u really dont have to make up ur mind till this time next year... like me making up my mind tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)