• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help me with creative storey end (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
Ok Summary; Mother dies, son realises he was adopted. He has a biological brother he never knew of. He gets on a plane and goes to meet him. The brother never shows up.

How do I end it? Currently the main character brother commits suicide, but I'm mow questioning that ending.

nrs1990

HSC
Yeah, suicide probably isn't the best bet... Is there a way to bring it to an ending that's, while not happy, at least hopeful?

In terms of the cliches the English teachers seem to like: What has he learned from his journey? Has he gained a better understanding of himself? Maybe he considers suicide, but realises that he's strong enough to go on? I don't know -- it's your story, and it all comes down to how you choose to do it, and who your characters are.

Him reflecting on his journey could work, but only if it's done well. Otherwise it'd be sappy and cliched. Maybe him doing something constructive, acting on some realisation he's had on the journey, rather than just thinking?

I'm not sure, but I agree with you that suicide might not be the best ending.

tahlsy31191

HSC
How about he discovers that his real family lies within his friendship circle. Something simple. Something non melodramatic.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Or he waits and waits. Then finally realises that, as tahlsy31191 said, his real family lies within his friendship circle. However, just as he walks away, you reference another figure walking towards the same spot he just left. A person who looks very similar to him (his brother, who is late). Hence, he grows, but there is a surprise ending.

Basha&Ikani

HSC
COMMON MISTAKES IN THE CREATIVE WRITING SECTION FROM THE BOARD OF STUDIES:

• Selecting a poor topic: While there are no topics that are bad or unworkable, choosing a poor topic makes it more difficult to score well. Ironically, the poorer the topic, often the more likely it is to be selected by students. Poor topics often include stories of teenage angst (fights with parents, boy/girlfriends, finding out you were adopted etc), stories involving person tragedy (car accidents involving quadriplegia or abortions), going on the holiday of a lifetime, 'schoolies' week journeys, stories about guys in cars means of finishing. That list probably rules our three-quarters of the material that is written every year in the HSC. The rule of thumb is that if you thought of it in five minutes, you can be reasonably certain that so did 40,000 other students
There's more dot points but your story line only relates to the first dot point of the sheet that i have about common mistakes .. but then again it's your story so you do what you think is best :)

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
mines about schoolies' gaise in cars cruizn; around pickin up checks

henry08

HSC
N/A
Absolutezero said:
Or he waits and waits. Then finally realises that, as tahlsy31191 said, his real family lies within his friendship circle.
I think I will work with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)