• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help with endotherms & ectotherms question? (1 Viewer)

shaZ-

HSC
i came across this question in my textbook.. any help would be appreciated. =)

The alpine region of the Snowy Mountains, especially the feldmark or stonefields, provides a hostile terrain for most plants. In winter it is covered by snow; in summer, there is a dramatic fluctuation in diurnal temperatures. Such dramatic fluctuation results from the lack of plant cover and from the miday heat scorching the rocks, causing them to heat up as soon as the sun sets. the snow heath (Epacris petrophila) is a small prostrate shub that grows incredibly slow over the ground, covering about 10 millimetres in one year. Explain on physiological adaptation of the snow heath to changes in ambient temperature.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
"Explain on physiological adaptation of the snow heath to changes in ambient temperature."

I think you mean 'one'?

Suppose you need an adaptation to explain.. The textbook say any? If it doesn't, then maybe its insinuating that we explain its 'short', 'prostratiness'

smurfus

HSC
I'm guessing but these are some adaptations of other cold region plants

The growing season is too short (4 months) to allow plants to make enough food by photosynthesis to support a large, woody trunk

Some plant in these regions have renewal buds close to the ground where they are protected from cold by soil and plant litter

Shrubs are dwarf with a rock clinging habit (rocks retain warmth)

Intense sunshine for short periods can cause heat stress and it is critical to keep leaves cool. Leaves may be silver in colour, have long hairs, have a small leaf area or have a needle shape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)