• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with time dilation (1 Viewer)

toprun91

HSC
I am really getting confused about time dilation. What i am thinking is if you were an astronaut traveling at near the speed of light what would you see. Would you see time around you going slower or would you see time around you going faster. I would assume you would see time going slower. But then if you were in a space ship for say 5 minutes and landed back on earth and it had been 10 minutes wouldn't you have to have seen time as going really fast from inside the space ship.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
this is from the paradox theory...
U are right that when u go to near speed of light time would dilate, meaning that YOU being the astronaut would experience time in YOUR FRAME OF REFERENCE go slower.
Therefore in relation to a viewer on earth, time is relatively faster.
Thats why the person that comes bacck to earth after going at the speed of c, ends up being younger than the person who stayed on earth

toprun91

HSC
Ok but what does the astronaut see, do they see everything slowly, if so how do they move more foward in time wouldnt they have to see everything go fast for that to happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)