• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hey, Feedback on my Concept, Cheers! (1 Viewer)

dollarfifty

HSC
Hi Hi everyone,

Just wondering if i could get some feedback on my concept for my BOW. I am interested in what lies beneath the skin, in part, organs, bones and ligaments but moreso emotions and experiences that are imprinted on our bodies - the places we travel and how our past informs our cells therefore informing who we become, in the same way mapmakers use pen and ink to map the world i am using collaged etchings, lino prints, lithographs etc to map the interior. In a way i am externalising emotions. I am using X-Rays (the internal) and I have photocopied my body (the external) and am mapping and prinitng on both and displaying with light boxes. Does anyone know of any artsits i could take a look at or if anyone can think of any ways i can extend on my concept in the art making practice, in my BOW, or if they can think of ways i can extend on the metaphor that is the body and emotions in my work?? Muchly appreciated, :D the BOW is such handful. Good luck everyone SOB SOB lol

biggie walls

HSC
Haha how about that poem in the Journeys stimulus booklet by Margaret Atwood??

Other than that.....

As for artists... not sure?? There's no real famous etchings that I know of?? But perhaps the theory of abstract expressionism - pollock created a a network of lines etc. to express his inner subconscious self..

Sorry, this is a hard one - your concept sounds good though!

The Cruel Sea

HSC
Alex Grey
Damien Hirst
Rembrandt's The anatomy lesson of dr tulp
da Vinci's anatomy studies

um to be honest i find it hard to see how you could possibly represent something so intricate as the concept you describe through your chosen medium of lino cutting. You'd be very restricted by the nature of printing and the very limited colour range you can employ. The complexity of such a concept, cell make up etc. is just astounding, you would know this better than i do having chosen to investigate it further for your concept, but we as humans are composed of millions of cells. I couldnt imagine a lino print being able to represent the interior multitude of cells that you wish to represent without banal repetition, distortion, overcrowding and muddled composition. I sound pompous this, i've realised but afterall you have asked for feedback and i'm giving my honest opinion. I don't mean to be offensive but i dont mean to be your nice either, i'm just being critical so that you might see something you don't, considering my naive objectivity... i haven't even seen your work yet so my opinion isnt really valid, this is all assumption, do what you like with it.

Daniel

HSC
N/A
dollarfifty said:
i am using collaged etchings, lino prints, lithographs etc to map the interior. In a way i am externalising emotions. I am using X-Rays (the internal) and I have photocopied my body (the external) and am mapping and prinitng on both and displaying with light boxes.
The Cruel Sea - she is using much more than just lino prints :)

Dollarfifty - check out the ArtExpress 2001 catalogue, there were two students in there who worked with x-rays/bones etc (one actually topped the state in VA that year)

A girl in my class is also working with x-rays and drawings of bones, skeletal structures and the internal, I'll try see if I can get some artists names from her.

Oh and, never underestimate the power of layered photocopy transparencies, and a light box!

dollarfifty

HSC
Cruel Sea- thanks very much, :) i dont suppose i explained it very well but my BOW is more like this than what you envisage- I am etching maps into x-rays of a complete skeleton, some of the bones for example the jaw bones, thigh bones etc I have etched into plastic. I am mounting them on a light box. I am also using lino prints to map metaphors for emotions which follow a simple structure that is similair to the structure of the skeleton; that is for example i am carving into linos images -such as a bird cage as an example (these are all symbols of which i am exploring further down the track) and am printing that on rice paper (which is unusual i know) using oils and then attaching them onto the x-rays probably by sewing them together just like a surgeon sutures a wound. (this all sounds stupid written out, - its a visual thing i guess duh! its art). So the x-rays are quite obviously the interior of the body- not so much cells and organs. The other piece of my work is the external, i photocopied my body (think Julie Rrap) and am doing a similair layout of mapping through printmaking over these images and then block printing symbols of emotions (like the bird cage) over the top. Another concept of my work is gelatin silver photgraps which are self portraits preserved in bottles using mineral oil.

God it all sounds ridiculous! Its looking pretty good though. Thanks for the artists as well btw. Really helpful. I already had some da vinci sketches but alex grey and damien hirst were good too.
And thanks etc...etc...etc for your suggestions too I have expllored a lot with photocopy transparencies. And hearing a little bit about your friend in class would be great too if she is exploring similair mediums. i'd like to hear about yours as well. :) CHEERS GUYS! :D

HSC
N/A
Have you heard of Kiki Smith? She's done some amazing work with a conceptual focus on the female body. She uses a wide range of mediums, from sculpture to prints. Take a look at her.

dollarfifty

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Have you heard of Kiki Smith? She's done some amazing work with a conceptual focus on the female body. She uses a wide range of mediums, from sculpture to prints. Take a look at her.
Thanks Very Much The Apprentice :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)