• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

High school student needs your help! (1 Viewer)

DMAN98

HSC
Research: Does weight training stunt the growth of adolescents?

Hey guys

I am 16 years old and I am currently in a maths and science oriented high school in Melbourne, and we had a pretty cool opportunity to take up a new VCE subject where we conduct a University like research investigation. So I decided to make my topic on a very commonly thrown around assertion that weight training as an adolescent will stunt the growth of their epiphyseal plates (my research will be directed at males).

I personally do partake in pretty regular weight training, I started at the age of 15, so while I must keep in mind to avoid any bias I am pretty keen on coming to a sound conclusion on the topic to answer the question once and for all!

After a few months of preparation and background reading I have decided on a method of research (had to consider the limited time and resources available) and have got it approved. Now I have begun collecting data which is where you guys come in…

I have an anonymous online survey that requires responses from males aged between 21-40 years old regardless of whether you partook in weight training or not.

I need quite a large number of responses for my data collection to be successful so I would really appreciate if you guys could take like 5 minutes out of your day to do the survey!

LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FTKNGVT

Thanks guys!
PS- sorry if this is not in the right location, I wanted to post in the non-school section but it wouldn't let me.

DMAN98

HSC
Have you guys been able to do it yet? If not please find like 5 mins to fill it in for me, it would really help me out!

Also if anyone has any questions about my research be sure to ask me.
In case you guys were wondering I will be comparing are body proportions, and participants heights compared to their parents', between the two groups (those who lifted and those who didn't), which will be an indicator as to whether or not the epiphyseal plates (aka growth plates) closed early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)