• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

History and memory related texts (1 Viewer)

beverly

HSC
N/A
im in desperate need of a quick last minute history and memory related text just to do an essay in the next day.

any quick advice?

cakes

hi
HSC
i did Au Revoir Les Enfants, a french film directed by louis malle, and a poem by Paul Celan 'death fugue'

beverly

HSC
N/A
wow i was actually thinking about doing au revoir les enfantes as i watched it in prelim for an area of study we did, but i wondered how i could incorporate it into history and memory, aside from it being holocaust related?

cakes

hi
HSC
i thought au revoir les enfants was a good text to use...

it really shows that there is no such thing as 'objective' history, and that history and memory are linked, or you could say that what we read in traditional historical texts is something liek the collective memory of the dominant? what contemporary texts do is show the responder the "other" versions of the truth/history

the film challenges the stereotypes of the holocaust
e.g. the nun who is deceitful, the German soldier who helps the Jewish boy when they get lost, etc

there are also LOTS of film techniques which you need to talk about, because this is the "representation" module.

talk about how the film is Malle's representation of the holocaust, his memory is represented through the character(forgot his name) as his autobiographical double.

there's heaps and heaps and heaps of stuff!! :) focus on techniques.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)