• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do other students from my school affect my HSC marks? (1 Viewer)

unicornachos

HSC
N/A
I've been told by a couple of people that your classmate's marks affect your overall marks for the HSC. I just want to know if this is true and how it works?
My average for all of my subjects for year 11 was about 80%, and I'm ranked first in three of my classes, and in the rest I'm in the top five.
I just want to know if and how the rest of the people in my year's marks could/will affect my overall marks, because my year has a pretty low average and people have told me that other people can "bring your marks down".

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
I've been told by a couple of people that your classmate's marks affect your overall marks for the HSC. I just want to know if this is true and how it works?
My average for all of my subjects for year 11 was about 80%, and I'm ranked first in three of my classes, and in the rest I'm in the top five.
I just want to know if and how the rest of the people in my year's marks could/will affect my overall marks, because my year has a pretty low average and people have told me that other people can "bring your marks down".
Yes, it is true. You are marked as a cohert in the HSC. Being the 'average' is the worst, as your marks will either get scaled up or scaled down purely depending on how everyone in your cohert performs for that particular subject.

For example,
Kid 1 gets 95 overall,
Kid 6 gets 70 overall,
Kid 20 gets 30 overall.

Kid 6 will likely have his marks scaled down as a result of kid #20. However, 1st rank generally aren't affected.

I'm only providing a 'rough' idea, there's more capable people on this site that will provide you with in-depth explanations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)