• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you study foe Legal studies? (2 Viewers)

Jaron2005

HSC
Hey guys, i am currently doing pretty well in legal studies, but i reall have no idea how to study for my trials next month and for the HSC, i was wondering if any of you can give me some tips for studying, i just find it hard to memorised cases and legislations especially for "family".

Any tips is much appreciated.:)

Thanks in advance, Jaron

Cheers

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
  • Make notes according to the syllabus dot points
  • know the content for each
  • Make LCMD lists (legislation, cases, media reports, documents) which will help you in your responses what to refer to
Remembering cases and acts for legal isnt that bad
Now I'm doing law where we need to know cases and not only the acts but sections of the acts e.g. s 588G Corporations Act 2001(Cth):p

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Memorising cases can be hard but there are a few methods I use to help me.

My lecturer at uni often draws pictures to help us remember the main facts of the case e.g. Donaghue v Stevenson she will draw a snail in a bottle on the board, then when I need the case I usually remember the case being the one with the snail in the bottle.

It also works if u can remember the main facts or something strange about the case, for example Chapman v Herse its ironic because the guys name is herse and he kills someone in a car accident...

With legislation if u can't remember the year or if it is Cth or NSW write it anyway...something is better than nothing and teachers appreciate u are in an exam situation.

I found practice essays to be useful in studying, do them within the time limit they will be in the exam. This helps you practice writing fast, under pressure and is like a form of study, I found writing things out in essays helped me remember them.

Family is quite a hard topic to study as there is a massive amount of content. I tried to learn one or two areas of the law in depth and have a general knowlegde of the others incase the question was specific but you need to see what is best for you.

Good luck and any other questions fire away :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
goan_crazy said:
  • Make notes according to the syllabus dot points
  • know the content for each
  • Make LCMD lists (legislation, cases, media reports, documents) which will help you in your responses what to refer to
Remembering cases and acts for legal isnt that bad
Now I'm doing law where we need to know cases and not only the acts but sections of the acts e.g. s 588G Corporations Act 2001(Cth):p
That is the most helpful advice that I have ver recieved on the Internet. No kidding.

And I post on a lot of forums.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
bringbackshred said:
That is the most helpful advice that I have ver recieved on the Internet. No kidding.

And I post on a lot of forums.
No worries
its called knowledge sharing
which we learnt in mangaging people and organiastions at uni 2:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)