• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does ranking work?? (1 Viewer)

balkaranjeet

HSC
N/A
im so confused about this whole ranking thing, say for example im coming 6th in a subject and then in the HSC i get the top mark will my mark be pushed lower???????????
how does this work?

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
what ever mark you get in the actual HSC will be counted towards ur atar.
internals are the ones that change.

iBibah

HSC
is it like an average?
Yes, your HSC mark is an average of your internal and external mark. Whatever you get in the exam (aligned) will be your exam mark and your assessment, if your not first, is determined by the performance of your cohort and differences in raw marks.

Highest exam mark is the highest assessment mark. Lowest exam mark is the lowest assessment mark. The ones in between are moderated according to the performance of the cohort and the distance between ranks. So even if your not first, being close to it makes a difference.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
According to my maths teacher if you for example get rank 10 in class but miraculously get rank 1 in the HSC, your mark will be pushed down to whatever mark rank 10 in the HSC is
someone pls correct me if I'm wrong

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^That's wrong, it's the moderated internal marks and your external mark that are averaged. And your internal moderated mark won't necessarily be the 10th best exam mark.

inJust

HSC
Just work hard and you dont have to worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)