• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How Important are Introductions in Essays? (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
Are they a general indicator of what mark you are going to get? As in will the marker know what mark to give you with little regard to the rest of the essay?
Also, will an essay with a brilliant intro but mediocre body and conclusion, be better than an essay with a mediocre intro and brilliant body paragraphs/conclusions?

I know that all parts of an essay are important in a sense, but many times I heard/read articles that stressed the importance of intro's and I was wondering if it were true or not.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Intro's are important to really give your essay a good skeleton. You basically are providing your answer and how you will answer it in that paragraph alone. When markers read your intro they do get an indication of how your essay will progress but don't forget it's just the skeleton.

Most of the time you'd want to ensure your introduction is clear and concise and that the marker/reader will know how the essay will unfold. The marker can definitely be impressed from the introduction but trust me when I say they can change that very quickly too.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
When we mark our student essays we put them in piles according to the quality of their introductions because an introduction: 1/ tells us the stand you are making on the question
2/ The texts you are referring to (including author/director etc).
3/ some sort of generic thesis statement and
4/ how you intend to prove it .

Basically you could hand in your introduction and it shows your complete answer .All it lacks is the proof which you have said you will provide .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)