• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many fancy words in Creative? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I hate using fancy language in creative, and I have to stop and think about every word before writing to make it sound like a story and not an essay.

So, my questions:
1) How many fancy words should you have - ie a LOT or some.
2) What is the highest mark I could get if I don't use fancy language but have an alright story line? out of 15.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
1) fancy does not matter, as long as the fancy word is relevant and suits the context.
2) 12+, alright story line IMO is a 12 or 13 but different teachers mark differently.

gwilymprice

HSC
Don't go out of your way to put fancy and long words into your piece because doing this can ruin the flow of the story and makes it staggered to read which the marker generally will not like. Use words you understand and to expand on that just read widely to widen your vocabulary it will also help you find nice expressions and phrases. Best of luck@

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
1) If fancy language isn't part of your normal vocab when writing and you have to consciously put it in it probably wouldn't suit your writing anyway. There is no real use for them if you are adequately descriptive (though your work tends to be a bit dry without good writing). But there is no use having out of sync language just to try and score a few marks since it will ruin your flow and be to your further detriment anyway. A good compensation is to use techniques rather than fancy language to add to your writing.

2) IMO, a good storyline is a start to a decent mark (9+) but if it is unengaging then it will suffer. And yes, unfortunately engaging writing comes from textual dynamics and a bit of elegance in writing.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Your questions are quite general so it is impossible to give you a definitive answer, for example, when you inquire about the usage of 'fancy' words-what is your definition of 'fancy' words? What is the 'alright story line' you have in mind? A good creative consists of many elements-character, plot, technical elements, thematic concerns, setting etc, and the structure of the creative and the minute details such as the narrative point of view you choose to adopt and the voice you choose to write in can have a significant impact on how well you express your 'story line'. But most importantly, your marks in creative, or indeed, in any piece of English writing, will be determined based on just how well you have answered the question and how significantly you have utilised the given stimulus in a metaphorical and literal way within your story.

ANSWERING THE QUESTION will get you the marks, not necessarily having a bunch of 'fancy' words-which in this instance, I mean, superfluous words that comes purely out of a thesaurus. Hope this helps some what:)

-kc

HSC
You don't need fancy language to score. You need figurative and descriptive language to support a unique and provocative story line.

GabbyS

HSC
Don't forget that many writers use very little fancy language, sometimes none, because it can create a certain and powerful effect and voice. Try and write the way it comes naturally to you, and let other parts of your work do the talking (structure, great punchy dialogue, whatever). Not everybody has to write like a Romantic with long beautiful descriptions, metaphors and flourishes. Your best work will be what you do naturally if you play up your strengths and create something unique.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
I hate using fancy language in creative, and I have to stop and think about every word before writing to make it sound like a story and not an essay.

So, my questions:
1) How many fancy words should you have - ie a LOT or some.
2) What is the highest mark I could get if I don't use fancy language but have an alright story line? out of 15.
There's no need for fancy language - your choice of language should reflect the desired tone and style of your writing whilst telling the marker that you have sophisticated control of your expression.

You can get 15/15 without 'fancy' words if you write with flair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)