• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How would you define "sufficient detail"? (2 Viewers)

speedofsound

HSC
One of my biggest problems with English is the amount of detail I right in my essays. Who else gets this: when you discuss your response in plenty of detail, you get told you're rambling too much, however when you write in less detail, you get told it's not enough. This has got to be one of my biggest frustrations in English, how are we meant to know what's enough or isn't enough? :hammer:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
speedofsound said:
One of my biggest problems with English is the amount of detail I right in my essays. Who else gets this: when you discuss your response in plenty of detail, you get told you're rambling too much, however when you write in less detail, you get told it's not enough. This has got to be one of my biggest frustrations in English, how are we meant to know what's enough or isn't enough? :hammer:
Well it depends on the amount of time given for your essay. For example,my teacher always said that you are supposed to write about 4+ pages if you are given 40+ minutes. 4 pages would probably be around 1000 words may be? And in assignments, they usually give you the length so yeah...

By the way, it's also important to use right vocabulary.

EDIT: Amount of details depends on your response too. As long as you provided:
thesis statement, quotes/examples , explanations and conclusion to every paragraph, it's sufficient. And don't try to go too detailed because by doing that you may jeopardise the other sections because you may run out of time.

suzlee

HSC
OH MY GOD, I KNOW.
English teachers are the FUSSIEST fussheads ever :mad:

IMO!
Sufficient detail: an imaginary line drawn between "too little" and "too much" that exists in biased English teachers' stubborn and fussy minds.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
suzlee said:
OH MY GOD, I KNOW.
English teachers are the FUSSIEST fussheads ever :mad:

IMO!
Sufficient detail: an imaginary line drawn between "too little" and "too much" that exists in biased English teachers' stubborn and fussy minds.
I'd imagine it would be aweful for you suzlee, cause you don't like English. It's like that with maths for me, I don't care about slight inaccuracies in answers for questions. I get my tests back and argh :(

suzlee

HSC
supercalamari said:
I'd imagine it would be aweful for you suzlee, cause you don't like English. It's like that with maths for me, I don't care about slight inaccuracies in answers for questions. I get my tests back and argh :(
LOL
I can't even describe how much I hated English in year 9. My English teacher this year made it a lot easier for me to last through English lessons ;)
But with maths too, although I enjoy it, I sometimes feel like it's too much work... you have to be consistent with your studying to maintain your marks :cold:

HSC
suzlee said:
LOL
I can't even describe how much I hated English in year 9. My English teacher this year made it a lot easier for me to last through English lessons ;)
But with maths too, although I enjoy it, I sometimes feel like it's too much work... you have to be consistent with your studying to maintain your marks :cold:
lol..i love english ;)

just the language english and everything associated to english is elegant:D

btw to op: read the outcomes to be assessed or whatever its called..usually it tells you what they want..

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
lol..i love english ;)

just the language english and everything associated to english is elegant:D

btw to op: read the outcomes to be assessed or whatever its called..usually it tells you what they want..

Are you sure?

HSC
suzlee said:
Ha! I knew it.
heres a poem i just wrote

I like to hide away from nasty girl
because she does not look like a pearl
when she made an account on 'some' site
i jumped with shock and screamed with fright!

get it ?!?!?!

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:

get it ?!?!?!

No that really doesn't make ANY sense to me at all ......
:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

-tal-

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:

get it ?!?!?!
... that does not make sense whatsoever. I could critique it if you want, but maybe I don't know you well enough to know what on earth you're trying to say.

suzlee

HSC
LOL eww, no

Yeah give him the full critic's point of view!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)