• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I am a newbie seeking advice (1 Viewer)

maxximus

Hello everyone,

Howzit going? Im sure you get thousands of newbies on here asking the same kind of stuff, but here i go anyway! Hope you dont mind.

I am a Year 12 student at Epping Boys High School. When I started school, i did really well (first in class in year 7), then it all went pear shaped from there.

In the 5 years that have gone past since then i have gone downhill to a point where I am now 'cruising' along, not doing badly, but pretty average, except in the couple of subjects I like I do pretty well (IPT and VA). I am doing terribly at maths 2 unit (30% in the first HSC assessment 4th term last year.

These are my subjects:

- Biology
- Maths 2 Unit
- English Advanced 2 Unit
- VA
- IPT

I was doing Physics but i decided to drop it this year. I did that because I wasnt doing well at all and I hated it.

Anyway, I've figured that ive spent the past 12 years at school, and I am not going to throw all of that away just so I can 'cruise' through year 12. I want to do well.

But the problem is I have no clue about self discipline or self motivation. I have no goals- i dont know what i want to do after school in terms of a career or further study.

I know that if I spend 2-3 hours a day doin homework and studying Yr 12 will be fairly easy and I will get a good mark. I know Im capable of doing well, its just the self discipline issue that I cant seem to combat... :chainsaw:

Thanks in advance

Winston

HSC
maybe you can do something with graphics, since you like computing and art :)... dont worry what u wanna do worry about getting a decent UAI which will enable you to be free in course selection, if you suck at Maths you can find a tutor or work harder keep practicing, i failed every exam in yr 11 for maths then yr 12 started i did really well cause i got my act together, if you cant do that consult a tutor.

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by maxximus
I want to do well.
I have no goals- i dont know what i want to do after school in terms of a career or further study.
Wanting to do well is already a goal? :) I guess what you want to do afterwards depends on what you really want, what you really like doing. What can you imagine yourself in 5 yrs time?

But the problem is I have no clue about self discipline or self motivation.
I know that if I spend 2-3 hours a day doin homework and studying Yr 12 will be fairly easy and I will get a good mark. I know Im capable of doing well, its just the self discipline issue that I cant seem to combat... :chainsaw:
Someone compiled what I think is really good advice on studying and how to look at it if you haven't read it yet. (Kudos to whoever wrote it :) I know it's all not new, but it's like a lil checklist of getting yourself into good 'study hygiene'.)http://www.boredofstudies.org/studying.php

Hey, you sound intelligent, and you admit that you're capable of doing well - motivation and discipline all depends on you really. :)

Not wanting to sound anecdotical so I'll keep it short - but I had a stage from Year 8 to end of Year 10 where I somehow lost track of things and fell back really badly. What motivated me to get back on track again were my English marks, I consistently came first or close to first every year, so that sort of meant to me that I was capable of achieving that elsewhere as well. It's like a lil voice saying 'Hey, you're no so crap after all' you just need alot more effort. Year 11 was a huge struggle but I managed to push myself up to ranks I was really proud of. :) I dunno, maybe even I'll surprise myself this year and actually surpass the estimates my previous years marks have given. We'll see. ;)

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Don't fret, almost everyone who wants to attain a decent UAI will have that problem of self-discipline.

I mean sitting down and pulling out the pen to study is a lot easier said than done.

I'm pretty sure you can't expect to suddenly gain this self-discipline, you are going to have to build it up. You got plenty of time till the major exams so now is a good time to start.

Basically you'd want to do a routine study, like sit down one day doing maybe 30 minutes, or unless you can't stand it anymore. The next day, move it to 1 hour and make sure you maintain the same study time. i.e. try to make it so you study at for example 8pm every night rather than one night at 9pm and the next day at 5pm and so forth.

And keep slowly increasing your study time to how ever long you wish to do and try to maintain the consistency and routine. That's the best way to ensure you effectively study rather than a messy timetable which could cause some further discipline problems.

This is my opinion remember. It has worked out for me as I only started studying halfway through the year.

santaslayer

HSC
i would think a flexible timetable would suit u...set a timetable that is realistic and try to complete the weeks work including studying on it. at the end of the week, if u have completed all ur study hours (without daydreaming) then u should reward urself in anyway u plz. eg. an hours worth of computer games..woteva.
that way u are able to keep a consistent study pattern, but easier said then done.

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
well for 2U maths, i had the same problem. i was failing each assessment, til in yr12 i realised i had to get a tutor. tutoring programs help a lot. so try out a tutoring program + see if ur marks improve.

as for ur studying timetable issues. you need to be consistent everyday. ur timetable shouldnt be all over the place. start out with a short amount of hrs, then slowly increasing it day by day. and dont study in big chunks.. study in short amounts + take breaks.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Although probably not the best method, a teacher once told me that one way to improve results is to strive to "beat" the person ranked above you, and continue doing so until there is no-one left to beat.

A little healthy competition couldn't hurt. ;)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I was the same, i was cruising along until 2 weeks before the HSC began, and then I started to study hard. It paid off, I did pretty well. Better than what I had expected.

santaslayer

HSC
i did exactly wot honky tonk quoted and i managed to beat quite a few nerds.....lol

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
I hope this will confort you, I got 40% in my first yr12 Mathematics assesment and ended up with 83 in the HSC so not all hope is lost!:)

Last edited:

Leanne

HSC
i actually gave my bf who is just starting yr 12 advice for this same problem.....

the timetable idea is good- if u can stick to it.....

......but first of all u need to work out wat type of uai u are aiming for....which means u need to think about ur interests and search through the most current uac guide for any uni courses (or look in the TAFE handbook) and the cut-off for those courses.

After u have worked out wat sort of uai u are aiming for......look at this as ur goal....the one thing u are out to achieve by the end of the yr.....then u organise the timetable and get ur priorities right (like work, going out, etc) Try to keep on track wiv ur homework and never let urself feel like ur overloaded- just take every piece of work step by step.....

hope this helps!! and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)