• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I need a new AGP Graphics card! (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Hey guys, sometime ago you may have read that my graphics cards got fried, which is why you never buy shitty chinese brands like sparkle. Ever.

Anyway, i need a new AGP graphics card. Basically it needs to be priced $300-$500, be capable of playing TES:Oblivion without any lag whatsoever (that is, it has to maintain a framerate of 20fps at all times) with settings at medium.

Whats more, it has to be available here in Sydney.

cl3nta

HSC
nvidia will find you soemthing very good for that money.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
S1M0 said:
...be capable of playing TES:Oblivion without any lag whatsoever (that is, it has to maintain a framerate of 20fps at all times) with settings at medium.
That varies a lot on what your other components are.

Also why not order one off the internet from somewhere?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Sparkle is Taiwanese. Taiwan boasts a highly developed technology manufacturing industry.

Subjective, but I view 30fps to be laggy, let alone 20fps.

Like Acaapca said, your options are pretty limited. An X1950PRO might do the trick, especially since you're only looking for around 20fps on Medium.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
20fps? isnt that a bit low??? i would think some1 would say between 50-60fps minimum..

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Collin said:
Sparkle is Taiwanese. Taiwan boasts a highly developed technology manufacturing industry.
And yet has managed to produce a graphics card, with a fan that doesn't even work. I only realised that when my card fried :(

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
icraig88 said:
20fps? isnt that a bit low??? i would think some1 would say between 50-60fps minimum..
Yeah but to get to that mark i'll have to either get a good graphics card with shit quality budget brand with a budget of $500-$600.

Collin

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
And yet has managed to produce a graphics card, with a fan that doesn't even work. I only realised that when my card fried :(
Well, if it stopped working after a period of time, I would check to see if the fan was bogged by excessive dust accumilation, or anything like that. Also check to see if it is still under warranty.

Drunkass86

HSC
S1M0 said:
Anyway, i need a new AGP graphics card. Basically it needs to be priced $300-$500, be capable of playing TES:Oblivion without any lag whatsoever with settings at medium.

Whats more, it has to be available here in Sydney.
Why don't you opt for a motherboard (although a cheaper one), that has PCI express card capabilities. I myself got burnt by the same game...i upgraded both cpu and graphics card (AGP to AGP). AGP is an obsolete tech...and for the same price, you could get a really decent card like a 7600 gt or 7900 gs (i'm talking Nvidia here). You can't really find AGP in any great quantities anymore, so PCI express looks to be the way to go.

Its ok to just upgrade your video card, but a little future proofing with pci express is going to help HEAPS..especially when you have money to get better gear.

For a great site, cheapish prices go to www.techbuy.com.au

its located at Auburn.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Drunkass86 said:
Why don't you opt for a motherboard (although a cheaper one), that has PCI express card capabilities. I myself got burnt by the same game...i upgraded both cpu and graphics card (AGP to AGP). AGP is an obsolete tech...and for the same price, you could get a really decent card like a 7600 gt or 7900 gs (i'm talking Nvidia here). You can't really find AGP in any great quantities anymore, so PCI express looks to be the way to go.

Its ok to just upgrade your video card, but a little future proofing with pci express is going to help HEAPS..especially when you have money to get better gear.

For a great site, cheapish prices go to www.techbuy.com.au

its located at Auburn.
Because chances are he'd need to get a new CPU, RAM etc. in other words, build a new computer. Getting a new mobo often facilitates the necessity to pretty much build a new PC.

Yes, you can get some very cheap PCIe-x16 budget mobos like those cheapo ASROCK ones which still support AMD's 754skt CPUs and DDR1 memory, but it's totally not worthwhile if all he was going to get was a 7600GT or 7900GS. He would need something which totally blows away the (AGP) X1950PRO to make it worthwhile.

cl3nta

HSC
yes msy is VERY recommended. i've had personal experience with them + so have friends - they deliver :D

Acaanpca

HSC
msy is cheap if all you are after is cheap, If you have any interest at all in customer service go elsewhere.

Drunkass86

HSC
Collin said:
Because chances are he'd need to get a new CPU, RAM etc. in other words, build a new computer. Getting a new mobo often facilitates the necessity to pretty much build a new PC.

Yes, you can get some very cheap PCIe-x16 budget mobos like those cheapo ASROCK ones which still support AMD's 754skt CPUs and DDR1 memory, but it's totally not worthwhile if all he was going to get was a 7600GT or 7900GS. He would need something which totally blows away the (AGP) X1950PRO to make it worthwhile.
I agree, but the added throughput of PCI-X16 is so much better than AGP 8X. Thats where i'd spend my money. About ASROCK...I work with them..they have a good range...and whats more...theyre just repackaged ASUS..i'm not too sure but thats what my sales mngr said. ATI is sh'thouse until R600 comes out. the core processor of all those X1950XPROXT-whatevers is so outdated. but if you overclock, it MIGHT be in comptetion with some of Nvidias' great gear.

Oblivion kills PCs. It claimed me...it may have claimed another...murderous fiend

Collin

HSC
N/A
Drunkass86 said:
I agree, but the added throughput of PCI-X16 is so much better than AGP 8X. Thats where i'd spend my money. About ASROCK...I work with them..they have a good range...and whats more...theyre just repackaged ASUS..i'm not too sure but thats what my sales mngr said. ATI is sh'thouse until R600 comes out. the core processor of all those X1950XPROXT-whatevers is so outdated. but if you overclock, it MIGHT be in comptetion with some of Nvidias' great gear.

Oblivion kills PCs. It claimed me...it may have claimed another...murderous fiend
Yes, you're right - Asrock is a cheap subsidiary of ASUS.

ATi is NOT shithouse until the R600 comes out. They're shithouse in the high-end department, but remember you were talking about competition like the 7600GT (which performs similarly to an X800XT) and a 7900GS.

Also I don't think it's so important here to discuss how 'outdated' ATi's RV570 core is, or throughput differences between AGP and PCIe-x16. It's all about how everything stacks up in practice here. Intel's Core 2 microarchitecture is closer to a Pentium III than a Pentium IV, but it's obvious the performance is currently class-leading.

Anyway like I said before, PCIe-x16 will make it's mark if he decides to do a massive video card upgrade (perhaps a 8800GTS etc.), otherwise the X1950PRO is a solid performer.

It should depend on what other components he has right now too though. It may very well turn out that he should just build a new computer.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
Just upgrade your system;buy a new motherboard. If your old system is an AMD one then your sweet..you just have to buy a new CPU coz ur RAM is still ok as long as you dont buy the new mobos based on the AM2 chipset which needs DDR2 RAM. I say try this site (www.eyo.com.au), they're based in Revesby and has some good deals going, if you go buy an AMD motherboard using Socket 939, theres one from Asus goin for 77 bucks plus a new CPU for round 115...i reckon you'll spend close to 350 and you have an awesome system that will last you at least 2 yrs.

By the way, all graphics cards are now made in Taiwan or Singapore or Malaysia. ATI and NVIDIA themselves dont make consumer cards anymore, they only make reference cards for testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)