• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Importance of GPA (1 Viewer)

NightWolf_in_DC

HSC
N/A
Hey.
Can someone please explain the importance of GPA to me?

I'm hearing differing views and i'm getting confused.

Some say GPA is important, while others say work experience is important.

Then I hear talk about vacation work, and then when you graduate GPA doesn't even matter??

I just need some clarification.

Thanks.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
according to people from family who have graduated, they are saying that marks and GpA is important only for your first job, or while in uni, if you wanna transfer courses or uni's etc..but after your first few jobs, they don't really care much about the uni or your gpa, they just see your references and the title of your degree, i mean logically i think that's fair, because after uni you are going to be in the workforce, and it's your ability to work in that position that really counts, if you're good at the job, they should employ you, regardless of GPA, but ofcourse for the first few jobs GPA would matter, because i think an employer would be more likely to grab someone fresh from uni which has a higher mark in their degree, than a person with a lower mark in that degree....it's pretty much like the selection process into uni courses itself, and rankings and things, for the start of your career i guess.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
sparkl3z said:
according to people from family who have graduated, they are saying that marks and GpA is important only for your first job, or while in uni, if you wanna transfer courses or uni's etc..but after your first few jobs, they don't really care much about the uni or your gpa, they just see your references and the title of your degree, i mean logically i think that's fair, because after uni you are going to be in the workforce, and it's your ability to work in that position that really counts, if you're good at the job, they should employ you, regardless of GPA, but ofcourse for the first few jobs GPA would matter, because i think an employer would be more likely to grab someone fresh from uni which has a higher mark in their degree, than a person with a lower mark in that degree....it's pretty much like the selection process into uni courses itself, and rankings and things, for the start of your career i guess.
yeh pretty much everything is answered above...

I do want to add though, GPA is quite important because some subjects such as ACST200 require a certain gpa as prerequisite (it needs 2.5)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)