• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

International Students looky here (1 Viewer)

bluerushz

HSC
New visa terms for foreign students

Foreigners studying in Australia will automatically be allowed to work part-time under new visa arrangements.
From Saturday all student visas will be granted with work rights attached, removing the need for people to make an additional application.
Immigration Minister Chris Evans said all international students would be allowed to work up to 20 hours a week while their course is in session.
"It means that international students can apply for part-time jobs in Australia as soon as their courses start," Senator Evans said.
"It will reduce red-tape for students wanting to work in Australia and allow more efficient use of department resources.
"Making it easier for international students to work while they study will also assist industries currently suffering serious labour shortages."
New streamlined processes for people applying for student visas from India, Indonesia and Thailand have also been introduced.
The immigration department has granted 228,592 student visas to people from 191 countries in the year to June 2007.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=447038

X

xeuyrawp

Interesting. Someone loves them:

* Access to full fee places, while DFEE places are cut,
* and now, 20 hours of work if you're a student.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
"Making it easier for international students to work while they study will also assist industries currently suffering serious labour shortages."
translation: taking jobs from australian students and young people

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
shannonm said:
Who the fuck are they taking jobs from if the industry is experiencing a shortage of labour?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
there's a difference between:

international students are now allowed to work in (and only in) industries now suffering serious labour shortages, without additional visa applications

and

international students can work wherever the fuck they want. this MAY assist in areas with significant labour shortages, but whether the students have sufficient skills and actually want to work in these areas is another matter

adidasboy

weee
HSC
If they can get the job then it's theirs. what's with this taking jobs from australian stud, ppl business?

circusmind

HSC
shannonm said:
there's a difference between:

international students are now allowed to work in (and only in) industries now suffering serious labour shortages, without additional visa applications

and

international students can work wherever the fuck they want. this MAY assist in areas with significant labour shortages, but whether the students have sufficient skills and actually want to work in these areas is another matter
Awwww....baby......free market hurts huh?

As far as I can see, there are cas. jobs galore for students.

HSC
good for them, I know if I was an int student this'd really help alot. I know a few and the 20 hrs really isn't sufficient considering price of rent, uni, food etc. There's a tonne of jobs for uni students I don't see how the stealing jobs argument works when they are inside Australia.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
when international students come to australia they do so under the condition that they can pay their travel (plane), transport while here, studies, food, all living expenses, etc.
so if they are fair dinkum they shouldn't need these jobs at all

ifsonotso_100 said:
There's a tonne of jobs for uni students I don't see how the stealing jobs argument works when they are inside Australia.
fair enough but you agree that your typical 'casual students job' is NOT exactly in industries that are "suffering serious labour shortages", yeah?

anyway, deep down i guess I really don't give too much of a shit since the working visas (before this) weren't too hard to get (just bureaucratic bullshit really), so not too fussed

shannonm

HSC
N/A
actually my gripe is more with the wording of the article+quote - implying this will somehow help out our industries with labour shortages, rather than with the actual policy, which I'm really not that much against since they can work under working visas now anyway :)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
shannonm said:
when international students come to australia they do so under the condition that they can pay their travel (plane), transport while here, studies, food, all living expenses, etc.
so if they are fair dinkum they shouldn't need these jobs at all
But that's so often not the case. There's a false perception international students are all rich. A lot of them really struggle and worry about money.
shannonm said:
fair enough but you agree that your typical 'casual students job' is NOT exactly in industries that are "suffering serious labour shortages", yeah?
There are major shortages in all of hospitality, which is, along with retail, probably the largest employer of students.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
velox said:
Hmmm there are already enough useless indian international students working everywhere, this will just make the problem worse.
how are they "useless"? Unemployed = useless.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
adidasboy said:
how are they "useless"? Unemployed = useless.
Because I cant understand them, and they can't understand me, and they stare all the time, and are generally unfriendly.

On the train, they play music through their mobiles and put their feet on seats and walk around like they command everyone else. They forget the fact that their families have sacrificed so much (sold off farming land etc) for them to come here, and they just create a bad name for Indians in general.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shannonm said:
They will not be qualified enough to work in positions such as retail due to language difficulties. They could instead obtain retail work in areas such as Chinatown where there is a demand for foreign language speaking workers.

They could get jobs where communications skills aren't required, but employers will still preference Aussies. Discrimination still exists, and you are a prime example as to why.

Yes, some jobs may go to them, but so what? They are positively influencing the economy. Most industries have a labour shortage at present, so they fill many holes. The money they earn will be injected back into our economy, which ultimately benefits us.

The jobs they are working in won't be highly paid so it's likely they'll merely use the money to fund their own living expenses. They wouldn't be taking much money out of the economy when they leave.

My final point is that they can currently apply to work 20hrs/week. The thing this policy changes is that it eliminates the need for a ridiculous amount of paperwork in allowing them to do so.

velox said:
Because I cant understand them, and they can't understand me, and they stare all the time, and are generally unfriendly.

On the train, they play music through their mobiles and put their feet on seats and walk around like they command everyone else. They forget the fact that their families have sacrificed so much (sold off farming land etc) for them to come here, and they just create a bad name for Indians in general.
If you came to India I'm sure they'd frown at how you behave in public, too. Eventually they become accustomed to our culture. To be honest, I find a very low cultural distance between Indians and Australians. This came from working at P&G and interacting with many Indians in Singapore: we share a similar sense of humour, and when you get used to the accent, they're not that difficult to understand.

Also, they may appear to be unfriendly because of the way that you're also staring back or behaving towards them.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm of Indian descent and have been to India many times, hence I can see the problems more than anyone else. I dont know about if "I came to India," but when I go to India I fit in fine. I dont see being polite, clean etc is a cultural thing.

Indians in Singapore are Singaporeans. They are not Indians. Im talking about people of Indian origin, brought up in India - hence Indians.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes but i'm referring to indians who came to singapore in the last few years.

Being polite, clean, etc., is a cultural thing. Standards vary on what is clean and what isn't.

They may also be staring at you, which you find rude because they identify with you - they may actually be trying to be friendly. Also, I recall hearing that it's ok to stare in quite a few cultures - it's a way of saying hi.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
My final point is that they can currently apply to work 20hrs/week. The thing this policy changes is that it eliminates the need for a ridiculous amount of paperwork in allowing them to do so.
Yup, read my posts after my initial one, it's more the article I don't like rather than the actual policy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)