• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

iPod integration for a car (1 Viewer)

Zozo6969

HSC
Yes yes i no everyone wants to do it at the moment, and i am too. I have Mazda2 as u know has an integrated-into-the-dash stereo system. it has a 6-stacker in-dash cd player and it can play audio discs that are cd-r but not cd-rw, and obviously cant play mp3s. does any one now from experience if there is an auxiliary input behind the dashboard or anything that can possibly connect an ipod or any other mp3 player to it. I would much prefer hardwiring it than using an fm transmitter. also, if there is no way for an ipod, could u go 2 mazda and get the mp3 compatible thing for it??

any ideas

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
MP3 Tape thing

Tape deck goes in. Cord trails out of tape deck. Cord goes into iPod.

Thats what I use. works.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Quality is fairly good. but at lower volumes you may be able to hear the tape deck abit.

The fm transmitter is pretty good, cause it charges and play. But sometimes its a bit sctratchy and you get a bit of fuzz on certain stations.

The difference between tape and transmitter? about 100 bucks? ;)

Zozo6969

HSC
Thing is though, there is no tape deck in my car, $262 to get one. Plus the actual tpe u need. Should i blow $100 and get the transmitter and be able to use any ipod i want with it, or just stick to burnt cd-r audio discs, since it has a 6 stacker in-dash

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
whats wrong with an itrip for your ipod?

maybe I'm dyslexic and don't know.

<3 itrip

I bought mine a while ago for $80ish I think. Something like that

*checks* It's $69 for a mini? You basically tune into a radio station that lets you play your ipod through it....

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
An input can come as an accessory in many new cars that involves a small hole basically in an unnoticable place on the dash board that you can plug in your iPod to. This is what I had my parents put in in our new car, and it works great!

I know that if you have a BMW, you can take it back and have it serviced with this addition made.

Zozo6969

HSC
Been thinking about an FM transmitter yet everyone says too much static, not loud enough, bad quality etc.etc.etc. Think i might just gethe kensington one and ask if i can test it first to see the quality of it. has a charger for it so thats good and if i just get a cupholder thing for it, it will be all good. Plus i have an air click so i can change the song, volume etc. with a remote control.

All up probably $140 and i can use it with any car and any ipod. just one last q, how good is the quality of an fm transmitter ie. itrip etc

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Been thinking about an FM transmitter yet everyone says too much static, not loud enough, bad quality etc.etc.etc. Think i might just gethe kensington one and ask if i can test it first to see the quality of it. has a charger for it so thats good and if i just get a cupholder thing for it, it will be all good. Plus i have an air click so i can change the song, volume etc. with a remote control.

All up probably $140 and i can use it with any car and any ipod. just one last q, how good is the quality of an fm transmitter ie. itrip etc
Well my one (itrip), it will only have static if you turn up the volume on the ipod. Basically you should give it maybe a volume a 1/3 of the way there on your ipod and adjust your desired volume with your car.

Quality of the actual music may not be great as you would straight from a cd, but I felt that was because of ipod quality in general (as in, listening to the ipod with headphones I felt was lacking in quality compared to a discman etc). It's nothing too bad at all.

There's a recommended station that itrip gives you.. I forget what it was but I found it crappy and static and went to find my own (which you can do). And now its absolutely clear.

The only problem really is that you need to keep your ipod near the radio antenna/radio itself, although I don't think that's going to be a problem because you probably want it nearby, and probably be okay sitting in your cup holder.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Okay, I know nothing about cars or any of that shit, but I do have an ipod adaptor in my car (is that what your asking about, I really don't know). It's just a box that sits underneath the CD player and a cord comes out, and you hook it up. That's about it really. Cost around $250 - $300. I don't know if that helps though.

Zozo6969

HSC
Well, Mazda have just announced (August 4 actually) that they are releasing an iPod adaptor which hardwires the iPod through a connector in the rear of the stereo system, while the iPod sits in the glove box. Navigation of the iPod is done through the controls on the stereo and on the steering wheel if you have controls on it. Sounds good, and is $265 exc installation. Lucky I hadn't bought any fm transmitters or the like yet. It will be a standard feature for all Mazdas in the future.

Ford and GM also will carry an iPod option. The new VE Commodore already has one I know (as well as Bluetooth for your mobile!!). Don't know too much about Ford's one, but since they own two-thirds of Mazda it should be pretty much the same concept. Dunno if it will be available as an upgrade to all older Fords though, like what Mazda's is.

Source:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2060804.004/country/jcf/Mazda/mazda-ipod-adapter-for-factory-installed-audio-systems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)