• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is Ext 2 math useless? (1 Viewer)

Seanlikesgirls

HSC
ive used few atar calculators, and unexpectedly found that no matter you put 90 or 70 for ur ext 2 maths for ur hsc, u got almost the same atar. And people say these atar calculators are very accurate, does it really mean that we should spend more time on other subjects in order to get a higher atar?

LordPc

HSC
pffff

part of doing well in maths ext 2 is performing basic logic checks on your answers.

keeping that in mind, does this sound right to you?

"70 is approx. equal to 90 for MX2"

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
two points is a decent difference. putting 90 in all my subjects and 80 in english gave me 95.6 and putting only mx2 down to 70, it gave me 93.65.

it's basically saying that mx2 scales really really high.

Xcelz

HSC
ive used few atar calculators, and unexpectedly found that no matter you put 90 or 70 for ur ext 2 maths for ur hsc, u got almost the same atar. And people say these atar calculators are very accurate, does it really mean that we should spend more time on other subjects in order to get a higher atar?
the direct answer to your question "is Ext 2 maths useless?" = No.

It is a high scaling subject and will benefit your ATAR a lot if you do well in it. (bare in mind 'well' is subjective).

Lots of effort should be put into english as that can lift your ATAR a lot as well, but you have to consider whether spending the effort to get an extra 20 marks in 4 unit is more productive than spending study time evenly across other subject areas, lifting them up by a small margin individually.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
maybe it's because the 70 in ext 2 maths didn't get counted in the ATAR calculation.

It is not useless. If it were useless, I wouldn't opt to do it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You probably will notice that there isn't a large gap between the marks in MX2... although 10 marks in MX2 will move ATAR scores quite significantly... :S

Maths Extension 2 is certainly not useless... as I will be using some of the knowledge further in my tertiary education.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
no, you never know when you might just come across a situation in the street where you need to calculate the area of a particular solid, or determine the velocity and acceleration of a projectile in resisting medium.

has many practical applications to real life.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
no, you never know when you might just come across a situation in the street where you need to calculate the area of a particular solid, or determine the velocity and acceleration of a projectile in resisting medium.

has many practical applications to real life.
agreed, or very hard application of calculus questions, or harder 3U probability to see if you should gamble on something.
lol

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I'd say 4U is very relevant to Uni courses :)

But uhh yeah, since 4U maths has awesome scaling, a lower mark in 4U wouldn't be as harsh as a lower mark in a lower scaling subject.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I'd say 4U is very relevant to Uni courses :)

But uhh yeah, since 4U maths has awesome scaling, a lower mark in 4U wouldn't be as harsh as a lower mark in a lower scaling subject.
yup, so its better to be average in 4U and really good at another subject, than to be really good at 4U and average at some other subject.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
You don't do the HSC in the hope of gaining life skills.
bos said:
The aim of English Stage 6 is to enable students to understand, use, enjoy and value the English language in its various textual forms and to become thoughtful, imaginative and effective communicators in a diverse and changing society.
i appreciate where you come from and essentially agree with you, but i cant help but point out your gross generalisation (even though i dont fully agree with the syllabus aim)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)