• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is HSC Economics worth doing in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Oceanbreeze

HSC
Hi all.

I'm a preliminary student who's having trouble figuring out what subjects to take next year.
At the moment, I'm ranked in the middle of my cohort in economics. I find economics in general really interesting and I would like to acquire a sound grasp of economic concepts and how the economy works (planning on doing Law/International Studies, possibly Journalism).
I've heard that the content gets a lot better in Year 12, and I know economics is the highest scaling humanities subject, however, I'm apprehensive about whether or not it's worth doing.
So basically I'm just looking for confirmation on whether it does get a lot better in Year 12 (I'm finding the Year 11 course a bit dry), and I'm looking to find out how much work the course involves to do very well in compared to say, Modern History or Studies of Religion 2 Unit.

Thanks in advance. :D

photastic

HSC
Hi all.

I'm a preliminary student who's having trouble figuring out what subjects to take next year.
At the moment, I'm ranked in the middle of my cohort in economics. I find economics in general really interesting and I would like to acquire a sound grasp of economic concepts and how the economy works (planning on doing Law/International Studies, possibly Journalism).
I've heard that the content gets a lot better in Year 12, and I know economics is the highest scaling humanities subject, however, I'm apprehensive about whether or not it's worth doing.
So basically I'm just looking for confirmation on whether it does get a lot better in Year 12 (I'm finding the Year 11 course a bit dry), and I'm looking to find out how much work the course involves to do very well in compared to say, Modern History or Studies of Religion 2 Unit.

Thanks in advance. :D
Haha, when they mean better, they mean quadruple the content. It's get boring but I suppose you might enjoy it, unemployment, economics issues and that crap with globalisation.

dim-sims

HSC
Haha, when they mean better, they mean quadruple the content. It's get boring but I suppose you might enjoy it, unemployment, economics issues and that crap with globalisation.

Very true IMO.

But if you enjoy it I don't see why you shouldn't keep it.

As for modern I think the best way to go is just doing essay questions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Topic 1 is really dull imo, after that it gets interesting.

For the normal student though, topic 2 (CAD) will be frustrating so you'll only really see the benefits of the course during the second half of the year when you start learning about economic growth, unemployment, inflation etc and macro policies (monetary & fiscal).

Smooth Operator

HSC
It's pretty nice, it does get dull in some parts. However it's generally really interesting. If you have an interest, stick with it. Don't drop a subject just for the sake of it. Also, I would say it's easier to do well in modern, but it really depends, economic script writing I dare say is more difficult than modern to get a band 6. I also hear economics HSC markers are pretty hectic, e.g. if a short answer says outline they want you to explain.... Just what I've been told.
Although it's a great subject, I love it.

williamzhong

HSC
Uni Grad
Topic 1 is really dull imo, after that it gets interesting.

For the normal student though, topic 2 (CAD) will be frustrating so you'll only really see the benefits of the course during the second half of the year when you start learning about economic growth, unemployment, inflation etc and macro policies (monetary & fiscal).
This is so true!!! Topic 2 about CAD is really annoying, but if you believe economics is the subject for you, then keep it, at the end of the day its your decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)