• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it too late to switch courses? (1 Viewer)

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
I'm considering dropping Math Ext. 1 for Modern History. Is it too late considering it is last week of term 1 and they have already done an assessment.

Could I swap at the end of year 11 or have I lost my chance forever?

muzeikchun852

HSC
depend on ur school. my school is letting students change their subjects after the half-yearlies.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
It should be still possible, even after that assessments. I mean, prelims don't even count. One of my friends was allowed to change from french to chem a few weeks ago, and we're in yr12, so it should be alright. Good luck :]

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You should be able to, usually they let you first term.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
my school's limit was week 4 term 1 that was it lol, Now they only let you drop Eng adv --> std, or maths --> gen maths or no maths, SOR --> Catholic stud, and u get to drop one subject in yr 12 (if u want to).

ilikebeeef

HSC
I'm considering dropping Math Ext. 1 for Modern History. Is it too late considering it is last week of term 1 and they have already done an assessment.

It depends on your school, as others have said. My school normally doesn't let people change subjects after 6 weeks but they let me change in the last term. Don't try this though. Make up your mind sooner better than later, then ask your school about it.

Lauchlan

HSC

extensions are always a one unit course, whereas modern is 2 unit - so you would be losing one unit in this swap. you can switch ONLY IF you have enough units as a result,
and obviously the school MUST let you and it MUST satisfy the lines.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
extensions are always a one unit course, whereas modern is 2 unit - so you would be losing one unit in this swap. you can switch ONLY IF you have enough units as a result,
and obviously the school MUST let you and it MUST satisfy the lines.
What, isn't that gaining one unit?

Lauchlan

HSC
What, isn't that gaining one unit?
oh yeah, that means it should be ok (assuming they keep 2 unit advanced maths)
BUT maths ext usually is on a separate line to the other 2 unit subjects - this would make it difficult in satisfying the school's lines.

allira92

HSC
I think at my school the cut-off was thw end of wk8 term1 but it does depend on the school and when they deem it to hard to catch up on the work missed. If you are able to, swap now, don't wait out and see if you like it. You'd be able to drop ex1 maths at the end of yr11 but I dont think they would let you pick up modern at a hsc level.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
oh yeah, that means it should be ok (assuming they keep 2 unit advanced maths)
BUT maths ext usually is on a separate line to the other 2 unit subjects - this would make it difficult in satisfying the school's lines.
Other schools, like mine, can't have Extension classes running during a normal day, so I do Extension Maths after school.

I wouldn't suggest changing now, it's been a term and that's a fair bit of work to catch up on, but if you feel you can do it and that the school will let you, by all means go for it. At my school though, we couldn't change after the end of week 3.

Lauchlan

HSC
Other schools, like mine, can't have Extension classes running during a normal day, so I do Extension Maths after school.

I wouldn't suggest changing now, it's been a term and that's a fair bit of work to catch up on, but if you feel you can do it and that the school will let you, by all means go for it. At my school though, we couldn't change after the end of week 3.
after school is referred to as off-line, which is a line in itself when u think about it.
changing to a 2 unit subject would not work if all your lines are satisfied already.
unless of course you drop maths altogether ~ that would be a bold move indeed. :D

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
after school is referred to as off-line, which is a line in itself when u think about it.
changing to a 2 unit subject would not work if all your lines are satisfied already.
unless of course you drop maths altogether ~ that would be a bold move indeed. :D
That's the word I was looking for haha. On my timetable it has pm after period 5, we also wanted to get Economics to run offline, but wasn't allowed :\

HSC
Uni Grad
That's the word I was looking for haha. On my timetable it has pm after period 5, we also wanted to get Economics to run offline, but wasn't allowed :\
lol at my old school a bunch of friends and i requested to allow off line geography periods... but then failed... :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)