• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is this too many notes for Bio? (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I've written up the first topic for bio (Maintaining a Balance), and it's approximately 40 pages. This topic took us the whole term. Do you think this is too many pages of notes? I'm really confused.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
brogan77 said:
I think its too much, personally.

40 pages...rather excessive...reduce it down to keywords etc.
Do you think maybe I could stick with the 40 pages now, and later on when I know it better, cut it down to keywords? Coz I still don't know it well enough to go by keywords

Ellie_Belly

HSC
brogan77 said:
Yeah. I wrote fairly detailed notes originally, in all my subjects...I found the act of writing out the information helped me remember the information, then as I learnt and understood it more (over the course of the year), reduced it down until I had keywords that basically "unlocked" a wealth of information pertaining to it.

So yeah, as long as u plan on reducing it down in the future, I don't see a problem with it, as long as the act of making the notes aided your understanding of the topic you're fine...don't panic. :)

Ok thanks so much :) I will never call you a troll again (unless you'd like me to).

I should stop stressing like the HSC student I am.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
well
hate to burst your bubble
but my 'summarised' notes were in excess of 40 pages probably. for each module i had bundles that were at least an inch think. at least!!
there's no real way you can properly and extensively cover all aspects of a module and the dotpoints therein with minimal notes. its one thing to answer the dotpoint, but its another thing to understand, get background and a wholistic view of the topic.
however. when it came to studying for my exams, i read through my big notes and wrote in a book all the things i was unsure of or needed to remember. that way it was much more managable. i'll taqke a pic for you one day. but this book was basically key words. thats it. oh and dodgy diagrams and anagrams!!
:)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
brogan77 said:
Hahaha, see I'm not such a bad guy, I only troll because I'm bored. :( :D
Just remember not take the Internet, nor life, too seriously.

Plenty of time to worry about the HSC later, anyone who studies as much as u in the summer holidays will be fine. :)

Don't worry, be happy!! (<3 that song)
Bookie warned me about you... But I have to say, thankyou.

Yes, Bob Marley knew what he was talking about :)

elisabeth

HSC
My notes were about 40 pages all up for all 4 topics - BUT that was after I'd been making and learning detailed notes of each throughout the whole year (and it was including diagrams, wordy definitions...).

In bio there is heaps to learn, but once you understand the concepts, you can keep narrowing your notes down until they're a lot shorter and each short sentance or few words will trigger concepts in your mind. Just make sure you understand EVERYTHING and then don't worry about the length of your notes. Some dot points are so ridiculously easy that you don't need to write anything down, anyway, leaving you more place to elaborate with the harder ones.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
elisabeth said:
My notes were about 40 pages all up for all 4 topics - BUT that was after I'd been making and learning detailed notes of each throughout the whole year (and it was including diagrams, wordy definitions...).

In bio there is heaps to learn, but once you understand the concepts, you can keep narrowing your notes down until they're a lot shorter and each short sentance or few words will trigger concepts in your mind. Just make sure you understand EVERYTHING and then don't worry about the length of your notes. Some dot points are so ridiculously easy that you don't need to write anything down, anyway, leaving you more place to elaborate with the harder ones.
mmm agreed. my big notes were the comprehensive of all my school work + external research
by the end i had about 3 pages of notes per module. memory triggers :)

rhia

salty
HSC
i think that if your notes help you, then it doesn't matter how many pages of notes you've written. also, as long as you don't focus on writing notes, and on how many pages your notes are worth, rather than on learning, then, too - it doesn't matter.

but think: how much attention will you pay to your notes down the track? do you refer to them often/ever, or to text books instead?

in addition, i agree with a comment made to this thread, in that writing notes can help you learn things by having to recite/re-explain them to yourself in your notes.

trichp

Trish
HSC
Hi, i have nearly completed my notes for the first module and its 40 pages too, so i dont think you should worry as long as all the information is useful

HSC
Ok this is good my bio notes for module 1 are about 40 pages but i have heaps of diagrams to explain various things. I'm hoping to learn these and then cut down

leaderofrouge

HSC
writing up notes didn't really help me understand, reading the text books confused me even more... am I just doomed?

siggiepiggie

HSC
trichp said:
Hi, i have nearly completed my notes for the first module and its 40 pages too, so i dont think you should worry as long as all the information is useful
my teacher gave us a a guideline if u like to call if for making biology notes i have found it very useful and easier to study off and its only 10pages long. just devide your microsoft word document into 2 colums and write the sylabus dot points down the left hand side and leave the right blank so when u print it u have a large space to write notes next to the dot points. it may help for you, you never no.. good luck in half yearlys.

sikofthis

HSC
I HAVEN'T WRITTEN ANY NOTES 4BIO!!!!!
...umm, what do you take them about? do you do these in your own time? 40pages! wow.. does any1 have any advice for me on this studying/ notetaking stuff, our half yearlys are in 2weeks.. im screwed

Loz_metalhead

HSC
sikofthis said:
I HAVEN'T WRITTEN ANY NOTES 4BIO!!!!!
...umm, what do you take them about? do you do these in your own time? 40pages! wow.. does any1 have any advice for me on this studying/ notetaking stuff, our half yearlys are in 2weeks.. im screwed
I dont have any notes either. I'm just studying off my teachers notes and the sheets she handed out.

kim88

HSC
Hey
I am way behind in my bio notes cos i had to go overseas... anyone mind posting there's for me?
thanks champs!

K

katie_tully

40 pages is excessive.

You don't even really need to narrow it down to keywords. I found writing a few notes under each syllabus dot point was enough, come exam time, to jog your memory.

The beauty of biology is that the questions are often exactly what is in the syllabus. If your syllabus says define, then you can only every be asked to define something, describe, analyse, etc.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah but how many of those words are there. Define, explain, analyse, identify. If you describe when you are meant to explain you will loose marks..

K

katie_tully

So print yourself off a science glossary sheet (can be found on the Board site) and learn your words.

Be able to know what define is as opposed to explain. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)