• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is UMelb law not that highly regarded? (2 Viewers)

pk00

HSC
Hey there,

Most of the threads here, when talking about the best law schools in Aus, mainly just mention USyd or UNSW....with occasional mentions of ANU.. but I never see UMelb mentioned anywhere.

Is UMelb not that highly regarded in Aus? I thought it was? :uhoh:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agreed. why would you go to mel law when you have usyd and unsw law? (They are closer too)

so in terms of distance and everything, why would you even consider mel unless you live like at the bottom of the state or something

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
She may actually be a Victorian student...some of them put HSC:2010 because there is no VCE: 2010 option in the profiles.

OP most of us have little knowledge or experience with other states law schools.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
pk00 said:
Hey there,

Most of the threads here, when talking about the best law schools in Aus, mainly just mention USyd or UNSW....with occasional mentions of ANU.. but I never see UMelb mentioned anywhere.

Is UMelb not that highly regarded in Aus? I thought it was? :uhoh:
Yes, most of the people in this forum are from NSW. But in Vic, UniMelb and Monash are the top law schools.

At a national level, UniMelb sits at the top with ANU and USyd, UNSW and Monash, not necessarily in that particular order but you get the idea.

lionking1191

HSC
i always thought UMelb >(bigger than or equal to) USYD law. but now they scrapped the UG program and went with the JD.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Yeah, there's not much interest in Melbourne here because this forum is for school-leavers... and Melbourne is postgraduate only.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
i always thought UMelb >(bigger than or equal to) USYD law. but now they scrapped the UG program and went with the JD.
Rankings at that level don't really bother me because they're all up there. There seems to be people who nitpick over which is better but it really doesn't matter in the end. I mean, it's not like we're comparing RMIT law school and UniMelb law school, there's a huge difference there.

USyd was the first law school in Australia I believe. UniMelb then opened the second law school in Australia. The rest followed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)