• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is year 12 much harder than year 11? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am doing chemistry and physics. I looked at the year 12 science textbooks and it looks so hard. However, when I looked at the year 12 textbooks for humanities, I find it quite easy to understand and can actually do it now. Should I give up my science subjects for humanities? But then, science is higher scaling than humanities...... I have to decide now because I can't change my subjects in a week or so.

Year 11 science textbooks are quite easy to read. How come year 12 science is like a completely new subject?

Silly Sausage

HSC
It can look intimidating at first glance, but once you begin to familiarize yourself with your year 11 studies things will come much quicker to understand.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Not much in prelim phys carries over to the HSC, a little bit more in Chem does but it's still limited.
Humanities (at least the ones I'm doing) cover different content but are similar in style.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Year 12 HSC Science is mostly like humanities anyway (in the sense that there's not much science in it and is mostly based on impacts of science on society, history of science, etc.).

HSC
Not much in prelim phys carries over to the HSC, a little bit more in Chem does but it's still limited.
Humanities (at least the ones I'm doing) cover different content but are similar in style.
So is the HSC content almost completely different to the preliminary content?

HSC
Year 12 HSC Science is mostly like humanities anyway (in the sense that there's not much science in it and is mostly based on impacts of science on society, history of science, etc.).
Oh thank god. I was so stressed out when I saw the HSC text book where there was like medical engineering and all that.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
ahahah HSC physics isn't THAT bad in that regard, depending on how it's taught it can be approached conceptually (some of it anyways), it's just that people tend to try and rote learn their way through it

helloimyellow

HSC
Yep, like InteGrand said, HSC Chemistry (didn't do physics) is essentially expanding upon the principles you would have learnt in prelim. The 'societal and environmental impact' side of prelim is quite similar to Junior Science as you still cover relatively general concepts (metals and alloys for example) compared to the more 'specific' content of HSC (especially Module 3 and Industrial Chem if you do it), so this might be why you find it a lot easier to understand.

You should find the HSC course ok though, Modules 1 and 2 are fairly similar to prelim and it is only until Modules 3 and 4 where you have to remember really obscure details.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
ahahah HSC physics isn't THAT bad in that regard, depending on how it's taught it can be approached conceptually (some of it anyways), it's just that people tend to try and rote learn their way through it
The problem is, while some things can indeed be understood with extra effort (outside-syllabus reading etc.), the exams are designed in such a way that such understanding is neither necessary nor rewarded. Hence people can rote learn their way to high marks, provided they've mastered how to structure responses to big-mark Q's etc. Plus, there's some dodgy advanced theory stuff in the HSC Physics syllabus like BCS Theory, which actually can't be explained at high school level, so what the HSC teaches about these topics is actually entirely wrong.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yes. Maths and sciences (phys, chem bio) are harder since they require more critical thinking and understanding. English isn't that much different tbh

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The problem is, while some things can indeed be understood with extra effort (outside-syllabus reading etc.), the exams are designed in such a way that such understanding is neither necessary nor rewarded. Hence people can rote learn their way to high marks, provided they've mastered how to structure responses to big-mark Q's etc. Plus, there's some dodgy advanced theory stuff in the HSC Physics syllabus like BCS Theory, which actually can't be explained at high school level, so what the HSC teaches about these topics is actually entirely wrong.
Fair enough, though I would argue that there is usually at least one question in each exam designed to reward students who actually understand whats going on lol
eg 2010 q24

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
So is the HSC content almost completely different to the preliminary content?
In phys, yeah pretty much.
I mean like you use principles you learn in motion for example, in the HSC projectile motion
and you develop an understanding of electricity in prelim, which sort of carries over to motors and generators

but like something like the space topic in prelim (forgot what it was called) is kinda useless after prelim lol

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In phys, yeah pretty much.
I mean like you use principles you learn in motion for example, in the HSC projectile motion
and you develop an understanding of electricity in prelim, which sort of carries over to motors and generators

but like something like the space topic in prelim (forgot what it was called) is kinda useless after prelim lol
That topic in Prelim. is "Moving About". It's slightly useful in HSC Physics, like knowing what conservation of momentum is, but you won't actually need to calculations with those stuff for HSC Physics most likely.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
That topic in Prelim. is "Moving About". It's slightly useful in HSC Physics, like knowing what conservation of momentum is, but you won't actually need to calculations with those stuff for HSC Physics most likely.
True. I was told some of the stuff, you'll need for 4 unit maths (complex numbers and mechanics)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Nah I meant the topic 'The Cosmic Engine', it's full of random stuff like star life-cycles and historical models of the universe

Moving About was at least somewhat useful conceptually

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Nah I meant the topic 'The Cosmic Engine', it's full of random stuff like star life-cycles and historical models of the universe

Moving About was at least somewhat useful conceptually
Oh right. Thought you meant "space-like" as in motion-based things haha. Yeah, Cosmic Engine is quite pointless.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
True. I was told some of the stuff, you'll need for 4 unit maths (complex numbers and mechanics)
There's no complex numbers in the Prelim. or HSC Physics syllabi, though the mechanics stuff in these syllabi can be a bit helpful for HSC 4U Maths mechanics (like for understanding circular motion in 4U a bit better etc.).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)