• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

John's vs Fenner (1 Viewer)

richardneill

HSC
Ok guys I had my first preference as John's however for some reason, I am now being considered by Fenner, which was my 4th preference.

I think this is because if you are accepted into the PhB, you automagically get a 50:50 scholarship into Fenner.

Should I go here or what? I've heard that it pales in comparison to John's and money is not an issue.

I'm really keen to get the 'college" experience (read: meeting others and partying!) and it seems that in most unis across Australia you obtain this at the "sporty" places - and John's appears to be that!

Another possibility is that of course, I was declined by John's, but why would they deny a PhB student who had quite a good interview (I'm not socially retarded and got on quite well with the Master who interviewed me)? If this happened, wouldn't I be considered by Burg and whatever my 3rd preference was

Is it now too late to change back? It appears I can't modify my preferences on the website and wasn't the John's offer date on the 20th?:chainsaw:

Fenner Hall looks ok, but apparently we aren't allowed to use the balconies AND we only get a single bed! Good luck getting bulk scrapes there!

Are the girls at places like Johns and Fenner any good? I'm not talking about the ditzy ones, but more the ones that you can actually hang out with and talk to.

One advantage of Fenner would be that it seems that most, if not all PhB students get into there, so we could be bonding rarararara.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Another possibility is that of course, I was declined by John's, but why would they deny a PhB student who had quite a good interview (I'm not socially retarded and got on quite well with the Master who interviewed me)? If this happened, wouldn't I be considered by Burg and whatever my 3rd preference was
There's a lot of factors they'll consider when making offers. They might have denied you because they want a certain student balance or something like that. Given how many people have been denied 1st pref this year, you shouldn't be surprised about it.

Epic

HSC
Consider yourself lucky you're being considered by a college. Most of us have missed out on all our preferences and are being considered by UniLodge, which shouldn't be too bad anyway.

If you still want to change your preferences you can do so by emailing them, the email address is on the accommodation portal web site.

Bad luck on not making it into John's, but my impression of it is that it's probably the most popular and the most competetive to gain entry into, I don't think any of the other colleges even conduct interviews.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
also why do you keep reiterating this notion of us being lucky to get a place, iirc ANU has an accommodation guarantee,
You can get shafted to "the Rex", and as ive already explained last year anu hired private houses and sub-rented them to students. They're both classified as "anu approved accommodation".

Last edited by a moderator:

yosemite sam

HSC
I'd take Fenner over Johns anyday! Having said that I am a girl, not really into Johns scene. Fenner has a lot of parties and a great atmosphere and has more people than Johns=more friends. Johns doesnt take many first years each year too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)