• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Just another person looking for the right tutoring college to go to :) (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Harry's Education vs The Brain for Year 10 maths

Hey guys, I'm in Year 10 at the moment and are there any good places where I can get good tutoring (primarily maths). The place preferably at either burwood or hurstville and the timetable preferably on a school day. The price I want is to be "affordable" so dont mention somewhere like matrix and whatnot. If possible, I want to go to a tutoring centre that provides homework help/workshops cuz im falling behind school. Also, plz dont tell me to use the search button as I have read most of the threads in this category.

If it helps, at school we are currently covering 2U maths topics and we finished sequences and series. (Main reason why i want to change tutoring college is that we are planning to start sequences and series at term 4 and i find it rly awkward as the tutoring college is meant to be AHEAD of school, not the other way around).

EDIT: For english tutoring I need srs help with it, my english teacher at school is SOOOOOOOOOO BLUDGE and ik im real screwed for hsc. (then again, ultimately it's up to the student, not the teacher)

EDIT 2: Alrighty, for maths I have narrowed it down to Harry's Education and The Brain. Which one should I go for and does anyone here know the timetables for The Brain?

Last edited:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
thanks for your reply, i'll look at it :)

Updated OP

nightweaver066

HSC
Harry's Education for mathematics, available in both Hurstville and Burwood.

Hurstville on weekdays, Burwood on weekends.

Edit: About the workshops, I've heard about them at Harry's but never personally been there so i can't comment on that.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Harry's Education for mathematics, available in both Hurstville and Burwood.

Hurstville on weekdays, Burwood on weekends.

Edit: About the workshops, I've heard about them at Harry's but never personally been there so i can't comment on that.
thanks nightweaver :D

what did you like about harry's education? do you also know the cost for it? and what about the size of the class?

(haha sorry i bombarded you with so many questions :p)

nightweaver066

HSC
I posted this in another thread so I'll just copy paste.

He teaches the concepts clearly, making sure you understand them by going through a series of examples that covers the various types of questions that could come out in the HSC.
Sometimes he gets sidetracked and tells a story, or sometimes to illustrate a point, and most of the time it's humorous and engages the class
The resources he uses are basically past CSSA & HSC questions from the past 20 years and questions he made so you'll always be tackling exam style questions.
The environment is positive and encouraging with room for questions during class time.
He sets homework, and there are no consequences for not doing homework (other than his look of disappointment), although it's best you do the homework so you refine your knowledge and ensures you can apply it.

Two other threads you could look at:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=262216
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=263165

Cost is $53 per lesson for 3U (2 hour lessons), $55 per lesson for 3U accelerated class (2 hour lessons) and $80 per lesson for 4U (3 hour lessons).

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Try http://deltaeducation.com.au/ for English - state rankers or people with 97+ in Advanced English tutoring - looks very professional and everyone's credentials look very solid too.

Worth giving a try.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I posted this in another thread so I'll just copy paste.

He teaches the concepts clearly, making sure you understand them by going through a series of examples that covers the various types of questions that could come out in the HSC.
Sometimes he gets sidetracked and tells a story, or sometimes to illustrate a point, and most of the time it's humorous and engages the class
The resources he uses are basically past CSSA & HSC questions from the past 20 years and questions he made so you'll always be tackling exam style questions.
The environment is positive and encouraging with room for questions during class time.
He sets homework, and there are no consequences for not doing homework (other than his look of disappointment), although it's best you do the homework so you refine your knowledge and ensures you can apply it.

Two other threads you could look at:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=262216
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=263165

Cost is $53 per lesson for 3U (2 hour lessons), $55 per lesson for 3U accelerated class (2 hour lessons) and $80 per lesson for 4U (3 hour lessons).
oh LOL i've already read that, i didn't notice you were the person who wrote it :L

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
bumppppppyyyyy

updated op

nightweaver066

HSC
Easiest way is to have trial lessons at both The Brain & Harry's and decide for yourself.

nightweaver066

HSC
thats like so awkward for me >.<
lol how so? You should be able to trial a lesson of tutelage as you want to see if the teaching style, materials & environment is right for you :p

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
lol how so? You should be able to trial a lesson of tutelage as you want to see if the teaching style, materials & environment is right for you :p
lol cuz you might as well trial at different tutoring colleges on different weeks and bam, free coaching :p

nightweaver066

HSC
lol cuz you might as well trial at different tutoring colleges on different weeks and bam, free coaching :p
Haha.. tutor hop every week.

Harry's charges for the trial lesson (+$10 extra iirc) and i don't know about the Brain.

But yeah, trial lessons are the best way for you to determine which one you prefer.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Haha.. tutor hop every week.

Harry's charges for the trial lesson (+$10 extra iirc) and i don't know about the Brain.

But yeah, trial lessons are the best way for you to determine which one you prefer.
lol ok thanks :D

hey which one do you go to? the one at burwood or hurstville? and is there any noticeable difference between the 2? all ik is that harry isnt teaching at burwood atm (well thats what the lady said wen i called them today)

nightweaver066

HSC
lol ok thanks :D

hey which one do you go to? the one at burwood or hurstville? and is there any noticeable difference between the 2? all ik is that harry isnt teaching at burwood atm (well thats what the lady said wen i called them today)
Harry's teaching style is the same.

If you're talking environment wise, i.e. quiet, noisy, occasional chatter, it depends on the class.

Some classes may chatter heaps whereas others will be extremely quiet.

Harry teaches on the weekends at Burwood and Hurstville during some weekdays.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
i seeeeeee

this may seem a bit off topic but do you know any places that have tutoring classes during weekdays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)