• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Kind of screwed for HSC PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

azn 2245

HSC
Ok, so I'm in an english class that has done nothing at all for the past year. Everyone just does what they want and don't listen to the teacher, its really disturbing. Although I have tried really hard (do the work in class and homework, do all assignments etc.) I still am getting poor marks for english. English has always been my worst subject and I dont want to fail (failed enlgish in my trial HSC)

So what's a good way of studying? I Know past papers are good but I don't even know some of the stuff that we are supposed to be examined on. I'm so fucked. PLEASE HELP!

bouncingCats

HSC
- try past papers and handing them in to OTHER english teachers. Ask for critical feedback. this would help you as you learn from your mistakes.

- Learn language techniques of your AOS text and HOW they effect a journey

- Familiarise yourself with the type of questions asked in the HSC.

- If they ask you to evaluate, thats what you need to do. Evaluate means to make a judgement and learn other key words eg. explain/analyse

- Underline key words of the question

hopefully that helps.....

N

Nicola1616

happy to help - with what specifically. Do you want to post a question for you worst area and I'll help if I can - or you could email me some stuff to edit: jstanghe@bigpond.net.au

I think at this point your best bet is to have some really good essays memorised and be prepared to adapt. Do you have an imaginative essay? How are you going with it? Lets have a look if you want

cheers:read:

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
hey

i know what its like to be in a crap class where no1 pays attention. have u approached ur teacher? maybe ask for some 1-1 help if classes arent helping.

what i used to do was write up practice essays and hand them into my teacher for marking/criticism. the good thing about sta. english is u can prepare A LOT for the exams almost as if u know whats going2 be in them. e.g. for the journeys paper they usu. ask u similar type essay questions, just phrase the q in different ways. the question is usu. along the lines of, 'WHAT does the text you are studying say about journeys and HOW does it say it?'

the trick is to incorporate the key words of the question into ur response :) also practice writing up ur journeys story. i always found it helpful to do that instead of thinking of a impromptu story cos u'll be stressing out and its not good for time management. i suggest write the creative up first to get it over and done with. then u can spend longer on the essay and the comprehension.

what else? with Paper 2 its pretty much the same. as in, they'll ask u similar type questions to previous exam papers. if u have trouble wondering what to write in those, u can always email/PM them to me :)
-liz

azn 2245

HSC
Nicola1616 said:
happy to help - with what specifically. Do you want to post a question for you worst area and I'll help if I can - or you could email me some stuff to edit: jstanghe@bigpond.net.au

I think at this point your best bet is to have some really good essays memorised and be prepared to adapt. Do you have an imaginative essay? How are you going with it? Lets have a look if you want

cheers:read:
hi there nicola thank you for helping me, well i have trouble with dialogue, my class studied "the club". We were supposed to read it but i am extremely slow at reading. What i want is a list of useful quotes, lines etc. that show various techniques being used. My teahcer told me this is useful as you can use them in essays and stuff.

My problem (besides slow at reading) is that i dont pick up on which lines have useful techniques like metaphor, simile etc. I hardly know any techniques so a bit of help in this area would be greatly appreciated

I also have been doing HSC questions, but i cant get in contact with my teacher :( so he cant give feedback. Other than that, i wasa told my essay structure is perfect, i just need more detial (technique, example, effect).

Thank you and also thankyou to bouncingCats, i will do that. :)

azn 2245

HSC
lizziegirl said:
hey

i know what its like to be in a crap class where no1 pays attention. have u approached ur teacher? maybe ask for some 1-1 help if classes arent helping.

what i used to do was write up practice essays and hand them into my teacher for marking/criticism. the good thing about sta. english is u can prepare A LOT for the exams almost as if u know whats going2 be in them. e.g. for the journeys paper they usu. ask u similar type essay questions, just phrase the q in different ways. the question is usu. along the lines of, 'WHAT does the text you are studying say about journeys and HOW does it say it?'

the trick is to incorporate the key words of the question into ur response :) also practice writing up ur journeys story. i always found it helpful to do that instead of thinking of a impromptu story cos u'll be stressing out and its not good for time management. i suggest write the creative up first to get it over and done with. then u can spend longer on the essay and the comprehension.

what else? with Paper 2 its pretty much the same. as in, they'll ask u similar type questions to previous exam papers. if u have trouble wondering what to write in those, u can always email/PM them to me :)
-liz
hi lizziegirl, yes i have talked to my teacher and even at parent/teacher interview my dad told the teacher about the class behaviour and asked if anything would be done about it. BUT my teacher is extremely weak and instead of answering the question he changed the topic, feeling bad my dad didnt want to pressure him so just dropped the topic.

And yes i realized that the past papers have similar questions. I have done a few creative writing tasks (no problem here) and also a few reading tasks (section 1 of the first paper, have problem here). As for essays, my structre is perfect but i just need to include more detail. This will come from learning techniques and studying the texts.

Thankyou for your help, it is greatly appreciated. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)