• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

King Lear Assessment (1 Viewer)

Shiloh

HSC
Help!
I have just gotten my assessment for King Lear and I'm not sure how to approach the question.

You are a presenter at an academic forum for teachers and university students. Tou are presenting a Lecture on Shakespeares King Lear. You have been asked to discuss the following: "Is King Lear a tragic tale of redemption or a work whose final mood is one of pessimism? (Take one side)

Any help will be fantastic!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Hey. For covering this assessment, I'd recommend firstly engaging with the text and deciding your own position (Try to show evidence of your engaging with the text..), whether you believe King Lear is ultimately redemptive or pessimistic. (Personally, I see elements of both, although I believe the play was more 'redemptive' in the original context than the present interpretation..)

From there, try browsing through the text (Particularly Act Five) to see how your position can be textually supported, whether through characterization or language. For instance, if your conclusion is 'redemptive', use Edmund and Edgar's reconcillation as evidence, Some good I mean to do, Despite of mine own nature, (Act V, Scene III, Lines 243-44.) , or the fact that order is ultimately restored to a single ruler.

This is simultaneously made less and more difficult by the fact that there is much 'evidence' to support either position. (And even the same evidence can be used eitherway. Many characters die in the final scene, but the treatment of 'good' and 'bad' characters, particularly Cordelia and Goneril/Regan differ, and the survivors at the very end, Edgar, Kent and Albany are generally virtuous. :))

Seeing the audience is 'academic', it is advised to incorporate some literary criticism into your lecture. Quote influential critics who support your position as to Lear.. Fortunately, due to the vast quantity of Lear criticism, quotes can be found to support either position.
Examples include;

"King Lear makes a tragic mockery of all eschatologies; of the heaven promised on Earth, and the heaven promised after death,,Orders of established values of established values disintegrate. All that remains at the end of this gigantic pantomine is the earth, empty and bleeding [Jan Kott, 'King Lear Or Endgame?", 1965, published in 'Shakespeare Our Contemporary', ]

The play is not..pessimistic and pagan; it is rather an attempt to provide an answer to the undermining of traditional ideas by the new philosophy that called all in doubt [Kenneth Muir]

Many more can be found through research, although only a smattering would be necessary.

Also interesting is how the text's values have changed with time, influenced by interpretations, such as the nilhilistic Peter Brook adaption. (If you need details on how this effect is achieved, just ask.) I'd suggest also covering this element, if possible.

In short, perhaps it would be worth beginning by referring to Lear's textual ambiguity, but then emphasise that your position (for the lecture) is on the balance of 'evidence' corroborated.

In the body, outline your position using the text, critical viewpoints, and interpretations.. Whilst remembering to include elements such as values, ie;What values are suggested by the text's conclusion? (Speak what you feel, not what you ought to say...Honesty.) In the conclusion, reiterate your position, and try concluding with a memorable statement if possible.

Ultimately, there is no single right or wrong position, and this is one reason I like King Lear so much. Interpretation is truly in the eye of the responder, and without a definitive meaning, it is ever-changing and therefore emminently adaptable. :p

Hopefully that helps. :)

marlen

HSC
hey would anyone be able to give me some points i can write on an essay i got. umm i got to: explain how the two opening scenes of king lear engage the ausience, i already spoke of the fact that the opening scenes engage the audience in a plot of parralelism in which deception is the prime motif.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by marlen
hey would anyone be able to give me some points i can write on an essay i got. umm i got to: explain how the two opening scenes of king lear engage the audience, i already spoke of the fact that the opening scenes engage the audience in a plot of parralelism in which deception is the prime motif.
You are correct in focusing upon the creation of a parallel plot, and deception is indeed a prime motif from the beginning. :)

As for what else may be useful to discuss..
Perhaps you could discuss how these scenes introduce the text's universal themes of love, honesty and renunciation? (Give examples..)

For instance,
the opening sets the scene(s) for the rest of the plot, with Lear abdicating, Cordelia being exiled, and the land being divided in two. The ensuing chaos is foreshadowed by a multitude of characters telling Lear that his decision is ill-fated.

Additionally, these scenes reveal key insights into each character's behaviour, and their motivations. A good example is Edmund; Act One, Scene Two concludes;

Let me, if not by birth, have lands by wit;
All with me's meet that I can fashion fit
74-75)

His intentions are thus introduced, and the responder is already given insight into his means through his duplicity (Contrast between conversing and solioquising), and his motivation as a 'bastard'. Of course, this creates tension and interest for the responder, to see exactly how this situation progresses.

Now gods, stand aside for bastards! (Act I, Scene II, Line 22)

Besides, Edmund, Lear's behaviour is itself a key example. The opening depicts Lear in a state of hubris (come not between the dragon and his wrath), portending his ultimate fall. There is also a good Peter Brook quote covering the appeal of the initial story;

"A king calls together his three daughters and says, "I am going to divide my kingdom". This is the beginning of a irresistibly strong story which touches anybody because it's about real things, about fathers and children, property, power and possession.

There are also multiple ways to interpret this opening, creating continuing interest, much like the entire text itself.

Something I find engaging about King Lear's opening is how it creates the textual dialectic.. The results of his fateful abdication are widely criticised, yet carry onto their conclusion. (Heightening the tragedy, for the responder understanding the characters is against the background of the demise of a large proportion of the cast.)

As such, I'd recommend (besides plotting) focusing upon
characterisation and thematic issues in your essay.

Shiloh

HSC
Its worth 15%...

P.S Thankyou very much for the advice Gregor.

marlen

HSC
thank u so much, very appreciated.
god bless u
mwaa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)