• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Last.... *looks at watch* hour and a half question (1 Viewer)

Shimtek

HSC
Im just wondering what the difference between structured and unstructured DSS's are

this is something i completely missed in the trials and now that i realise it i didnt read anything about it last night

and quickly whats forward chaining and backward chaining? whatever thats supposed to be

JayWalker

HSC
Shimtek said:
Im just wondering what the difference between structured and unstructured DSS's are

this is something i completely missed in the trials and now that i realise it i didnt read anything about it last night

and quickly whats forward chaining and backward chaining? whatever thats supposed to be
By DSS you mean Decision Support System?

Chaining is like inferring

Forward chaining means you take what is known, and discover what happens
Backward means you take what happens, and find out what happened in 1st place..

Its not in DSS tho

SpaceMonkey

Frak!
HSC
*Structured - steps are known and must be followed to solve problems.
*Unstructured - requires judgement and insight into the problem. No method is required.

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
Structured DSS, put simply, are concerned with situations that are certain, and the conclusion is 100% accurate. The conclusion may be found using an algorithm.

Semi-Structured DSS, follow a method to reach a decision, but the correct decision is not guaranteed, due to unknown factors that make it an uncertainty.

Unstructured DSS have too many unknown factors to come up with a algorithm to determine the correct answer. The conclusion is often a prediction. Recommendations and conclusions are given, to assist the user, however will not provide a particular decision.

And yeah, most of this is reguritated from notes; you should use 'em ;)

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Structured - known answer eg how much carpet is needed to for room size ..
Semi Structured - known and unknown facts - like the weather bureau trying to predict tomorrow weather
Unstructured - few known facts lots of unknown, person opening new business with untried product

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)