• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law (1 Viewer)

xxtiaxchelseaxx

HSC
I'm really unsure as to whether I should law at uws or accounting at macquarie. I like macquarie because it has a better name and the course will probably be less demanding but law is what I've always wanted to and apparently I can get in on ten marks less due to a new subject bonus scheme.
So is anyone doing law at uws? Is it hard/ a lot of work?.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Your situation seems similar to that of mine last year. I'd always wanted to do law but didn't have the marks for usyd etc. In the end I had the choice of B Commerce at usyd/unsw etc (pretty much everything except medicine/law/physio/optom) however I couldn't trade off missing the undergraduate course I really wanted to do for a course I'd essentialy loathe at the some of Australia's best unis. So here I am today doing law at UWS.

So far (i've only completed one semester)-
Law subjects require you to keep up the whole time and have quite a lot of reading involved. And for the business subjects I do they seem to be really easy compared to law.

Wanna explain the new subject bonus scheme?:S

L

LaraB

xxtiaxchelseaxx said:
I'm really unsure as to whether I should law at uws or accounting at macquarie. I like macquarie because it has a better name and the course will probably be less demanding but law is what I've always wanted to and apparently I can get in on ten marks less due to a new subject bonus scheme.
So is anyone doing law at uws? Is it hard/ a lot of work?.
if you want to do law, do law. If you don't really want to do accounting no matter how easy it is tehre is a big chance you won't be happy with it.

I'm currently a 3rd year 2nd semester student.

The law degree and the teachers are of no lesser quality than other unis... our course is for example very similar to UNSW... but in general, a law degree is a law degree in NSW. Everywhere you'll do roughly the same core units. Although UWS has a smaller choice of electives than some unis, you can do a cross institutional study so if there's something that you really want to do that won't be a problem.

Keep in mind that if you are going in on a first year out of high school UAC entry basis you'll need to do a combined law degree at UWS so you can do Law and Accounting combined and then if you do find that the law is too m uch work, transfer to straight accounting.

As far as workload - yes law is more work compared the business degrees. I'm doing the HR/IR major in a B Business and for example, this semester i am finding that the tim eit takes me to do the 3 business units equates to the one law unit. However this is because this particular law unit is time consuming - not all are. Particularly in first year the workload isn't THAT much more than teh business ones. It's only when you g et ot the later years that it is a lot more.

As far as stigma regarding UWS - if you want to go into law to work for a top level corporate firm in commercial or other non-private legal areas - don't come to UWS because if you're worried about work load i get a feeling that the extra effort you'd need to be putting in to ensure you have marks to put yourself up there with other unis' students might be a bit much.

But, if you don't have aspirations (as most people realistically do not) of becoming the next CEO of Mallesons or Minters or the like, there is no problem with UWS. Of course you'll need to do well to be competitive but thats the same as at every uni :) Eg, i'm a third year student and i've already landed jobs in the Public Sector, in a large Private firm and currently for a Private lawyer.

One thing you may want to consider is the possibility that you'll need to go to Campbelltown, particularly when it comes to choosing electives, as you'll find that even though you're enrolled at Parramatta, you may need to go to Campbelltown if you really want to do certain electives.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Yeah I agree, persuing your interests is much more important then persuing a uni's prestige. Don't let a bias opinion of your family or peers mislead you to think otherwise. And don't assume accounting is going to be a breeze. If you want easy, go do arts. Accounting is a full-time commitment. I'm nearing my third year in accounting and I can tell you that it's competitive nature is something you'll have to look out for, especially if you don't have that strong of an interest in it. Your Uni's name isn't going to get you instantly into a job. But experience and good marks definitely would. And if you're interested in something, you would naturally do better at it than anything else obviously. good luck to you

dodgyfilokid

HSC
Im currently on my second semester of doing an accounting degree. Put it this way, accounting and law will be almost the same no matter what uni u go to do them. The reason why Im in UWS is because I slacked off and did prety crap durin HSC although ill say this: if i get a chance to transfer to Macquarie or UTS, i wont take them. Reason why is because I feel so much more better studying in a uni that has underdog status. I culdnt give a rat's arse bout prestige, what matters is you put effort in and soon you end up trumping people who went to 'prestigious' universities.

As for wanting to do Law, go ahead do it...do what you want to do not what your parentals want you to do.. in the end its you who has to work and its you who has to work hard not them.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
If you want to do law, do law. If you don't really want to do accounting no matter how easy it is tehre is a big chance you won't be happy with it.
This is good advice.
If you are trying to do something you hate, then you will end up sucking at it anyway.
So then you will hate the subject and have crap marks.
Not a good scenario.

The law degree and the teachers are of no lesser quality than other unis...
For example, many of the lecturers and tutors @UWS Law are actual practitioners - yer actual working lawyers. Makes for a good classroom experience IME.

And UWS Law School seems to be pretty cool about cross-instutional stuff, if you go through the right administrative motions first (as per the other thread...)

One thing you may want to consider is the possibility that you'll need to go to Campbelltown, particularly when it comes to choosing electives, as you'll find that even though you're enrolled at Parramatta, you may need to go to Campbelltown if you really want to do certain electives.
< nods > I am also finding this.

L

LaraB

Timbo650 said:
For example, many of the lecturers and tutors @UWS Law are actual practitioners - yer actual working lawyers. Makes for a good classroom experience IME.
good point - Apart from thta, even the non-practising-lawyers are still involved in the field.

A lot are on law reform committees, or involved with community legal centres, or researchers etc etc. Not to mention UWS has an FM to it's name - i.e. Mr Altobelli :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)