• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Length contraction and time dilation help (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
I don't understand the statement "its important to emphasize that proper length and proper time are measured in different reference frames" . I thought both are measured in the same frame relative to the object/event?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
no, they are measured in different frames of reference. try reading through some of the thought experiments. that should help.

edit: "proper" length and time is subjective since according to the special theory of relativity, length and time is all relative so I guess they just mean your view of what is "proper" length and time depends on your frame of reference.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
My understanding is that proper time/length/mass is the time/length/mass measured by an object in its own F.O.R. (the pronumerals with the nought subscript in the three equations), so I'm a tad puzzled as well, but maybe the it's trying to say that there's not a "proper" time in the sense that there's no one "correct" frame of reference to measure things from.

I may be wrong, I missed out on a few lessons at the end of the year and learning at home just isn't the same.

EDIT: Care to elaborate Kimyia?

Last edited:
K

khorne

You do realise it doesn't matter? Since everything is reversible, it doesn't matter what you call what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)