• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Math exam cheater? (1 Viewer)

random1o1o1

HSC
N/A
One of my mates got 7/10 for his maths exam (1141) and then he went home and altered his answer and gave himself a tick. Surprisingly, the tutor still gave him the mark the following week even though they marked it? Is this even possible and do people do this? Don't uni have a copy of your exam or something to prevent people doing this?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No they don't take copies however if someone reports him or if the tutor ever finds out he could possibly be given an instant fail for the whole course.

In that way he would have to redo the course. So its not worth doing that to an exam paper for a few marks because the ramifications and penalties can have a large affect.

D94

HSC
N/A
One of my mates got 7/10 for his maths exam (1141) and then he went home and altered his answer and gave himself a tick. Surprisingly, the tutor still gave him the mark the following week even though they marked it? Is this even possible and do people do this? Don't uni have a copy of your exam or something to prevent people doing this?
Well your anecdote answers your question...

If you conscientiously disagree with what your 'mate' did, you have to make a decision as to whether you want to make a formal allegation against him. You could do this anonymously - you should seek general guidance from the Office or Student Centre without going into details, just so you remain anonymous.

I think proving an alteration is difficult given that you need that paper to prove it. What you should argue is that he should not have been given extra marks since if there was an error, he should have made it known when he got the paper back, not the following week.

The UNSW School of Maths and Stats policy is here: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/assessment-policies

It states:
If a student disputes any test, assignment or lab work mark, this must be taken up as soon as the mark is released and the work returned to the student.

If in the case it's proven that he made an alteration for that test, he would receive a zero for that test. The policy is here: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/policy-academic-misconduct

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Physically it is possible to do (its not that hard to put a tick on the paper). But do you think this is fair? You've spent all this time studying and practing meanwhile your "mate" decides to give himself an extra mark or so? IMO, I don't think its fair.

Similarly; even with physics quizzes and labs students mindlessly hand over their reports and whatnot to their friends in other classes and take quizzes in groups to maximize their marks while another scrapes by. Again; do you think this is fair?

Because he is your friends it might make it hard for you to call him out on this but maybe have a conversation with him saying what you did was wrong and you shouldn't do it or something along those lines

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Physically it is possible to do (its not that hard to put a tick on the paper). But do you think this is fair? You've spent all this time studying and practing meanwhile your "mate" decides to give himself an extra mark or so? IMO, I don't think its fair.
It is extremely hard. If that teacher was perceptive enough, he/she could have detected a bullshit tick. Well... for all of my tutors, I see that their tick have a unique style to it which MAY need practice to emulate. So to completely emulate a person's tick, you must exert the same amount of force on the page equivalent to how the person would. (helpful with lots of luck on your side)
Also there are different types of red pens, some have more intensity than others. blah blah blah

Conclusively, I think putting a tick on the paper in disguise is hard like a rock

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It is extremely hard. If that teacher was perceptive enough, he/she could have detected a bullshit tick. Well... for all of my tutors, I see that their tick have a unique style to it which MAY need practice to emulate. So to completely emulate a person's tick, you must exert the same amount of force on the page equivalent to how the person would. (helpful with lots of luck on your side)
Also there are different types of red pens, some have more intensity than others. blah blah blah

Conclusively, I think putting a tick on the paper in disguise is hard like a rock
Bold part 1: yes but it is not hard to 'copy' their style. I mean after all you are trying to copy one tick not preform a handwriting analysis on them.

Bold part 2: ofc you need to practice it lol. when i copied my parents signature, I filled up about 2 and a bit pages before i signed the real thing.

Bold part 3: not really. I would think that most people use the same amount of force to get the ink on the page. pens are designed to be "effortless" so a weaker person would need the same amount of 'force' as a stronger person but the weaker person will feel like they're putting in more effort relative to the stronger person

Bold part 4: most teachers/tutors and whoever else use a water based ink with a steel tip (you know the higher more pricey ones, that leave a "dent" in the page) such as uniball eye micro or the 150 range (0.5) [i have a special talent for pens] so ideally not that hard to copy. Furthermore; you want to do a tick with "confidence." most people leave their pen on the page for the duration of the tick however you should be letting go at about 1/2 way through the tick

NOTE: i do not agree with cheating but rather I am explaining that unfortunately it can be easily done.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Honestly, my tutor gave me 5 ticks for a 2 mark question because it was a perfect argument lol. So even by adding one tick the tutor will just look over the work and realise that the tick meant nothing if the answer was wrong. So to fix this they would actually have to scribble out and put in something new which is very hard indeed to cover up.

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't think I've ever seen a tick on my papers.... All they do is write how many marks I got for that question, and that's it.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think I've ever seen a tick on my papers.... All they do is write how many marks I got for that question, and that's it.
that's the same with me. My Calculus tutor underlines the answer for whatever reason and once he wrote "nice working" and that's about it.
my algebra tutor on the other hand ticks every line of correct working and if the ticks stop then that's where you went wrong and he marks in green

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
that's the same with me. My Calculus tutor underlines the answer for whatever reason and once he wrote "nice working" and that's about it.
my algebra tutor on the other hand ticks every line of correct working and if the ticks stop then that's where you went wrong and he marks in green
Yeah my calculus tutor ticks everything lol.

Though my algebra tutor just comments (that awkward moment when the only comment is "remember do to the other part of the question" when I completely missed reading it lol and everything else was fine).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah my calculus tutor ticks everything lol.

Though my algebra tutor just comments (that awkward moment when the only comment is "remember do to the other part of the question" when I completely missed reading it lol and everything else was fine).
lol; I do the same, I read the first part of the question and them I'm like "bitch I got this"

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Cheating for the maths quiz?
Not sure if serious. It's not worth it.. worth only like 5% of you final mark.
Just cram the night before and ace it ==

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)