• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Me and my pug fugly win98 desktop. Need help. (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
My mum managed to steal a pc from her work that i can use to study but win98 is the most ugmo desktop ever when youve been using xp for a long time. I was just wondering if there are any progs or apps which can sexify up my desktop on win98.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Cheers. Looks good.

What about black box? Does that work on XP? Whats it like?

HSC
Blackbox is originally a linux window manager, but a quick google seems to turn up a windows port at http://www.bb4win.org/news.php . It looks pretty decent, though I have no experience with it whatsoever (The Windows version at least). If it's like the linux version then the focus tends to be on a minimal approach, so that might be something to try if you want to minimise resource usage (But again, I'm not sure how efficient the Windows version is).

One screenshot that did impress me is at:

http://box.crackmonkey.us/screenies/2732.jpg

but that might just be the wallpaper :)

equiski

HSC
me in the linux thread said:
If you just want to confuse your siblings and have a neato new interface to boot, maybe you should look into an alternant shell for windows. Then you are able to keep all your current programs and settings. It simply gives you a different interface to manage your windows and (in some cases) file system with. Litestep is my favourite shell, there is a huge community dedicated to creating awesome skins for it. There is always the option to permenantly or tempoary return to explorer, Its a small free download and installs in no time, so its definantly worth a shot.

This is the homepage.
http://www.beyondconvention.net/ohussain/
Be sure to check out the official skins on the homepage, they are very pretty.

Various shell reviews can be found at:
http://shells.loose-screws.com/
Unlike winblinds, which sits ontop of your explorer shell, a shell simply takes explorer's place. This will be of advantage on older computers like the one your mum aquired, as it preserves precious system resources. I am able to run litestep quite comfortably on my Pentium 100mhz laptop, and it looks alot better than XP. Also, unlike winblinds, most of the availible shells are free.

EDIT: IMHO Win XP with the default Luna theme would have to be one of the ugliest, clashy interfaces I have seen in a long while. At least the classic windows theme is clean and cohesive.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
equiski said:
Unlike winblinds, which sits ontop of your explorer shell, a shell simply takes explorer's place. This will be of advantage on older computers like the one your mum aquired, as it preserves precious system resources. I am able to run litestep quite comfortably on my Pentium 100mhz laptop, and it looks alot better than XP. Also, unlike winblinds, most of the availible shells are free.

EDIT: IMHO Win XP with the default Luna theme would have to be one of the ugliest, clashy interfaces I have seen in a long while. At least the classic windows theme is clean and cohesive.
Most of the time I'll tend to use the windows classic theme as opposed to the blue one anyway, but seriously what were MS thinking with that olive one?:p

equiski

HSC
withoutaface said:
Most of the time I'll tend to use the windows classic theme as opposed to the blue one anyway, but seriously what were MS thinking with that olive one?:p
...the olive one was the only luna theme I liked. The blue and orange is gaudy and downright spastic, while the silver one was overly cliche. Jeez :]

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
I've used some of those SHELL GUI replacement programs and they generally seem to fuck up your computer. Crashed quite a bit and was a pain.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
absolution* said:
My mum managed to steal a pc from her work that i can use to study but win98 is the most ugmo desktop ever when youve been using xp for a long time. I was just wondering if there are any progs or apps which can sexify up my desktop on win98.
Who gives a shit about the desktop?

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
SashatheMan said:
real cool people who have to pimp thier desktop

yeah.. .and chew up their systems performance!!
I used 2 skin stuff, but my PC just slowed so much so I got rid of it and I'm a much happier man.
If the machines only running 98, chances are if you skin it .. the PC will run VERY slow, unless its a fairly recent machine.

HSC
I used to run windowblinds comfortably on a p2 233, 160mb ram with a 32mb pci graphics card, with no slowdown worth worrying about. As for resource usage, I find it negligible, especially given the continued memory optimisations which the Stardock people have undertaken. Googling around results in similar discussions elsewhere, often by people much more qualified to speak about it than me.

If it's that big a deal it's a two click process to unload it for when you're working on something REALLY resource-heavy, but I'm finding that through improvements at their end in terms of memory usage I need to do that much less these days.

And in response to people "pimping their desktops", the reason I do it is because I spend a significant period of time working at my computer. I'd much prefer something that is pleasant to something which is ugly, given how long I spend looking at it each day.

That said, if the computer you want to run it on falls much beneath p2 233ish, it might be a better idea investigating some of the shell replacements. Another factor which I forgot to mention is that windowblinds can take advantage of hardware acceleration, if the machine can handle it, which probably helps a heap. Given that I've never used it on a machine without hardware acceleration, it may well suck big time without it, I don't really know. :)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Ah that's a good point, I forgot about that seeing as I always register software that impresses me. :)
what does it cost to register?

HSC
absolution* said:
what does it cost to register?
You can either opt for a registration of Windowblinds on its own for $19.95 (US), or $49.95 (Again US) for an entire Object Desktop license, meaning you're able to access all the other stuff they make, some of which is quite good, but in my opinion not worth quite that much.

Either license is valid for one year, entitling you to free upgrades, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)