• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MedEntry (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Hi all, I'm thinking about purchasing the Distance Prep Package as I might not be able to attend their workshops. I want to know the main differences between this course and the Platinum course. Do the practice interviews really help or does their 'interview guide' provide enough information for you to perform well?

So what I;m asking is whether it's worth it to attend their workshops. It'll be great if someone who has been to MedEntry answer these questions. Thanks for any input!

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Have you taken UMAT before? If you have, then imo there isn't much you can get out of the workshops - it's basically about seeing how other people get the answer and borrowing their method if it works better than yours.

I don't think the platinum pack comes with interview prep, just the interview guide (some document on MedE's lms).

basically, platinum = distance + workshop.

Danger

HSC
Hey, thanks for your reply. No I haven't taken UMAT before. I'm starting year 12 in about a week and I was wondering if a head start in UMAT prep would help in 10 months time?

Regarding the interview prep, isn't that included in the 2-day workshop? Or is a mock interview a totally different thing?

$400 seems a bit steep for prep courses, but do you think medentry is really worth it?

And one more thing, how many people sit the UMAT each year and how many people actually get in medicine (assuming they passed the interview)? I want to know my odds :p

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
ahh ok. I'd say you should probably head along to the workshop, just for the sake of it. go to the earliest one you can (so it doesn't get in the way of mid years) and try to rope in some other people so you get their discount.

most are around that price, and imo medentry's the best out of them. the earlier the better with umat, again because of the weird timing, it makes it hard to prepare once the year's started. the mock interview is separate (i think that costs 400 for a one day group thingy :eek:...) but the interview prep that comes with the pack is a bunch of documents (which are somewhat useful).

around 20k people take umat (icr exact numbers, but pretty sure it's around there and probably a bit more). as to med school numbers, i don't have any current details but if i can find something i'll put it up.

creat0r

HSC
okay as good as prep courses are, the two booklets you buy from acer are way better. and most of my friends who adhered to the prep course bombed out in section 2 but reasonably well in sections 1 and 3. i went to dallas and didnt take him too srsly cause his methods seemed alot worse than mine, but medentry might be a bit better. i' would try and get the cheapest package, as the workshop for dallas was a waste of time, and the only useful thing he did was give practice section 3 question (his section 1 and 2 ones were reallllly different to the actual test). try and do the acer booklet first, see how you go in that, and then try and get what suits you best.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO the workshops are particularly useful if you don't know any other prospective med/dent students, as you get can get a perspective on how others think (RE: UMAT) and form UMAT study buddies/contacts/friends. The material presented in the course isn't that much different to the notes online.

Danger

HSC
Hey, I just purchased the distance package. Thanks for all of your advices.

Season

HSC
I'd suggest going along to the workshop, it serves as an encourgement to study, as well as serving as a giant wake up call to how serious the UMAT is.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Danger give me access and I'll rip every question from there site, organise them into one PDF booklet, and upload for everyone.
Otherwise I'll wait for someone else to do it.
It's about time we shut these companies down... obviously they're taking advantage of your aspiration.

M

Missedentry

Danger said:
Hi all, I'm thinking about purchasing the Distance Prep Package as I might not be able to attend their workshops. I want to know the main differences between this course and the Platinum course. Do the practice interviews really help or does their 'interview guide' provide enough information for you to perform well?

So what I;m asking is whether it's worth it to attend their workshops. It'll be great if someone who has been to MedEntry answer these questions. Thanks for any input!
Hi Danger - I went with 2 friends last year and we all blew it (Missedentry!.) This year I went along to the icarus one and I have had a UNSW interview already and an Adelaide one coming up.

There is plenty of stuff floating out there - See if you can get your hands on some ICARUS online notes for Sects 1/2 and get a friend who is doing their course to give you the login to use superkeeneye! Save you a lot of bucks!

Oh and don't forget to get a friends notes for the interview from icarus day 2 - best beyond belief.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
missedentry said:
Hi Danger - I went with 2 friends last year and we all blew it (Missedentry!.) This year I went along to the icarus one and I have had a UNSW interview already and an Adelaide one coming up.

There is plenty of stuff floating out there - See if you can get your hands on some ICARUS online notes for Sects 1/2 and get a friend who is doing their course to give you the login to use superkeeneye! Save you a lot of bucks!

Oh and don't forget to get a friends notes for the interview from icarus day 2 - best beyond belief.
Is that you Dallas Gibson?

msomana

HSC
I bet it is.

A note to everyone who may wish to take a prep course: umat prep courses are basically just a really expensive set of spiffed up brainteaser questions.

IF you do end up signing up for a umat course - bear in mind that chances are there isn't too much difference in quality between courses and you could spend the money much better if you are motivated enough to train yourself.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
msomana said:
...you could spend the money much better if you are motivated enough to train yourself.
Can you expand on this Mana? How would you advise preparing without a course?

msomana

HSC
This would have to be the third or fourth time I've explained my budget umat prep:

$~5 on a couple of newspapers or other reading material of interest
$35 Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman for section 2
$10 Some cheap thick difficult Mensa IQ test book
and the two UMAT booklets from ACER to get a feel for the questions and the time constraints (N.B. the umat booklets are piss easy compared to the actual umat, that's why the newspaper and mensa book.)

Plus some time spent on:

Speed reading through the newspapers - and being able to regurgitate what you just read.
Reading the Emotional Intelligence book
Doing the Mensa IQ tests WITHOUT CHECKING THE ANSWERS until you have the right one.

Then the rest of the money can be saved obviously. Or even used to get some nice clothes for the interviews, or even to pay for a flight interstate. Don't ask me what to do with your own extra cash...

In fact there are some people in the course I know who got in without a prep course who just showed up for the umat, didn't think at all about the interviews prior to them, and got first round offers.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Puzzle books, mental challenge books, aptitude test books, psychometric tests, spatial identification tests, IQ tests, statistics (graphs) etc…

Danger

HSC
Bacilli said:
Danger give me access and I'll rip every question from there site, organise them into one PDF booklet, and upload for everyone.
Otherwise I'll wait for someone else to do it.
It's about time we shut these companies down... obviously they're taking advantage of your aspiration.
umm.. I don't think so, especially since i have forked out $400 for this. besides, they made it so you can't print, save, copy, cut their questions and guides so it is pretty much pointless.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
Danger said:
besides, they made it so you can't print, save, copy, cut their questions and guides so it is pretty much pointless.
You can still take a screenshot (PrintScreen button) ;) :p

Danger

HSC
yeah i have already tried that, but it seems to appear smaller and harder to read when I paste it. so i dont think that'll work, unless theres a way around it

msomana

HSC
In fact, there is a way around it; I'm not sure how to do this on windows because there is no menu bar in your browser window, but on a Macintosh, your menu bar is up the top of the screen anyway! so you can click (in FF) edit -> select all then edit -> copy.

N.B. I take no responsibility for anything that arises from this. I do not condone this action. There are lots of instructions online on how to make an atomic bomb but this doesn't mean you have to make one. Anyway, I don't think you need their stuff anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)