• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Minor Amendments to 2010 Biology Stage 6 Syllabus (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

Some of you may be aware that the Board of Studies has made minor changes to the 2010 NSW HSC Biology syllabus. These changes are quite small. Most of them don't bother me. However, I noticed that the Board has deleted the sexual reproduction content from the Patterns in Nature preliminary HSC course module.

What was deleted is this statement from the contextual outline for the module: "The processes of sexual reproduction also follow similar patterns in living things - these processes reflect the purpose of sexual reproduction as well as a common evolutionary origin for multicellular plants and animals."

Do you have any idea why the Board would remove the sexual reproduction content from the syllabus?

I'm mildy surprised because it is a prudish thing to do. It would have been quite an interesting area of study, too. Why would they delete it?

HSC
if i was the board of studies i would delete half of the year 11 bio syllabus because its so boring and honestly if i hadnt looked ahead to see what was in year 12 i would have dropped it.

i dont know why they would delete that :S

Schoey93

HSC
So you found year 11 Bio boring? I've read extracts from Biology in Focus and the prelim course seems quite interesting, especially the history of microscopes from Patterns in Nature! I guess it depends on the individual... :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i think i may have something to do with the discover of organisms that reproduced asporadically and differ from the similar patterns of other organisms, now i'm not sure but i remember hearing about this from catalyst or some other science show.

PS. i loved year 11 bio, i think its one of those subjects that you either, like, love or loathe

HSC
So you found year 11 Bio boring? I've read extracts from Biology in Focus and the prelim course seems quite interesting, especially the history of microscopes from Patterns in Nature! I guess it depends on the individual... :)
hated year 11 bio with a passion. i dreaded it lol.
but absolutely love year 12 bio :) :)

saberbladexx

HSC
LOL i dont think we even looked over sexual reproduction in year 11, maybe mentioned it but never studied it, its basically common knowledge anyways.

samthebear

HSC
dw, you're not missing anything - its boring as hell and you dont really need to know it for year 12 bio. Sorry to say but, sexual reproduction is REALLY not that interesting unless you're actually having sex. plus sexual reproduction in bio just means the fertilisation of male and female gametes. when you get down to the biology of sexual reproduction its pretty much:

Mummy + Daddy = Baby

simplistic and childish? yes. but the term for 'Mummy' will be either 'ovum'/'egg' or (for plants) 'stigma' and the term for 'Daddy' will be either 'sperm' or (for plants) 'annther' and the term for baby? blah. been too long. but you get the idea.

Sexual reproduction was one of THE most boring things in year 11 bio.

Schoey93

HSC
dw, you're not missing anything - its boring as hell and you dont really need to know it for year 12 bio. Sorry to say but, sexual reproduction is REALLY not that interesting unless you're actually having sex. plus sexual reproduction in bio just means the fertilisation of male and female gametes. when you get down to the biology of sexual reproduction its pretty much:

Mummy + Daddy = Baby

simplistic and childish? yes. but the term for 'Mummy' will be either 'ovum'/'egg' or (for plants) 'stigma' and the term for 'Daddy' will be either 'sperm' or (for plants) 'annther' and the term for baby? blah. been too long. but you get the idea.

Sexual reproduction was one of THE most boring things in year 11 bio.
LOL. I've just finished the school certificate science course and Reproduction was my favourite topic for the entire two years! :) (Seriously.)

It was really fun because our teacher let us teach it to each other. One group made a rap:

"When a man and a woman love each other very much
The man gets his penis and he puts it in her crotch
Now remember ... there's the testes, penis,
Epididymus..."

And it goes on like this, LOL. :) But even the content itself was fun and interesting to me. There's bacterial reproduction (asexual)... it's more specific than just plants and definitely more complicated than "mummy + daddy = baby". I'm sorry, but you're wrong, LOL. :)

samthebear

HSC
son, i just simplified it - of course there are more but hey, if you like that stuff power to you =.= just know that you probably only need to know a fraction of that shit for year 12 bio.

i still say it the most boring topic in year 11 bio. and for the record i'm not wrong i actually ALREADY studied this shit and yes i came in 2nd in my grade for bio. i simply simplified it.

Last edited:
HSC
son, i just simplified it - of course there are more but hey, if you like that stuff power to you =.= just know that you probably only need to know a fraction of that shit for year 12 bio.

i still say it the most boring topic in year 11 bio. and for the record i'm not wrong i actually ALREADY studied this shit and yes i came in 2nd in my grade for bio. i simply simplified it.
i reckon life on earth was more boring than patterns in nature.
life on earth was like suicide arghhhhh!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)