• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

need help!! for mock trials (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
hey this is my first time doin this and first time in mock trials.... jus stuck on somet hing and wouldnt mind some feed back or help... basically the case is about a teenager in a household living with his mother and a boarder and one day they were all in the living room... and basically the boy gets up and get the remote from the boarder(person who lives in the backyard) and walks into the kitchen. the man follows and lunges at the teenager in threatenin manner, we are defending the teen because he picked up a knife in the act of self defence..
also in the statements he's said (the teen) that the boarder slaps him and verbally abuses him... this was prior to the incident and also on the night of the incident the boarder was agen using verbal abuse.... they are prosecuting the defendent for occasionaly bodily harm under the crimes act(1900).. and all we can do, is say it was an act of self defence... well my question to u all is could my team somehow involve domestic violence in the case? i've searched it up and i could but then spoke to my teacher and he was abit weird with idea.... so jus wantin anothr opinion...,

thanks all

= Jennifer =

HSC
According to the Commonwealth's Partnerships against Domestic Violence (PADV) website, domestic violence occurs when a family member, partner or ex-partner attempts to physically or psychologically dominate or harm the other. Domestic violence can be exhibited in many forms, including physical violence, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, intimidation, economic deprivation or threats of violence. Domestic violence occurs in all geographic areas of Australia and in all socioeconomic and cultural groups, although domestic violence is a more significant problem for certain groups, such as regional and rural Australia and Indigenous communities.

so you could not use domestic violence as a defence

another option instead of self defence you could use is provacation

a tip for mock trial students: try to figure out what points the other team would argue about your statements and try to prepare some back up. Also, a good idea is to try and think what the opposition will come up with and have some arguments ready ;)

goodluck :)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
thnkz jen

thanks dude, you saved me from embarassment lol... i'll look into the provacation aswell, thanks for the advice :)

Regards Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)