• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Newcastle Open Day (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nessie_lee said:
How you see that as clever i don't know.
Because they're taking it as a pun that swerve means in a car.

nessie_lee said:
You guys really need to stop ripping off NCS people. If you haven't seen, this week is Mission Week, where they hold all kinds of talks trying to explain the basics of Christianity. Why do they do it?Because they want to share the gospel and also because many people have misconceptions about Christianity, and they are trying to give answers to them.
But the thing is, we don't want to be saved and we don't want to be judged and told that we're sinners. I just want to walk into uni, without anyone annoying me with their propaganda crap.

nessie_lee said:
They have as much right as anyone else on campus to get out there and hand out pamphlets.
And that's exactly why we're not bitcing about the other clubs, because they don't get out their and piss people off.

nessie_lee said:
It's your choice whether you are willing to hear the good news or not, but don't go around bagging out NCS people because they are sharing their beliefs. Respect them...
If we wanted to hear the "good news" we would read a bible or we would find you.

I don't mind them "sharing" their beliefs, as long as they aren't sharing them with me.

nessie_lee said:
And by the way.. I'm one of those "annoying NCS people" I don't care what people think, because i know what i believe in, and it's up to you whether you are open to Christianity and God. I'm not going to get on my high horse and say you should come along, because that's up to you.
a) It was pretty obvious that you're a bible basher.
b) If you don't care what we think, then why make that post defending NCS?
c) You're right, it is up to me, so I don't need people pissing me off trying to make me convert.
d) you've already gotten on your high horse by telling us that we're wrong with our oppinions.

As a side note, you've just proven one of my biggest annoyances with religion, but especially christianity. You all think that you know some secret that noone else knows and that everyone out there wants to be saved. Believe it or not, I come to uni to learn, not to be ambushed at every entry by people trying to change my beliefs.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
I didn't write the post because i cared about what you all thought. I wrote it to attempt to clear up some of the misconceptions you seem to have about them.

And i never said you were wrong with your opinions.. never. Every one is entitled to their opinion.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I can't be bothered replying to Nessies post, coz Jumb said it all, but we had the "why did Jesus swerve" thing in HB13...but sadly, all the arts bums in Hunter Building weren't cheeky enough to come up with smart arse replies. It would have proved much more entertaining than my lecture itself.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
You say you don't push Christianity down peoples throats...well then don't near crash tackle me to try and get me to talk when I'm quite obviously walking very quickly to get past you!

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
You say you don't push Christianity down peoples throats...well then don't near crash tackle me to try and get me to talk when I'm quite obviously walking very quickly to get past you!

Ok fair enough then. I can understand that. I did pamphletting this morning, and if a person avoided eye contact with me, or purposely walked in another direction, i didn't pursue them because they obviously didn't want to hear what i wanted to say and that's fair enough.

winicat

HSC
to be honest, anyone handing out pamphlets or getting people to sign up and donate money scare me. i always ask the sign-up people if i have to be 18 to help them then go "darn, i'm 17 until next year"

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
lol, i was wondering when you would enter this thread ness.
btw those pancakes were pretty bad this morning

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nessie_lee said:
Look, i respect that your not wanting to hear about Christianity, but you can't say that everyone on campus doesn't. You can't make that generalisation...
Yes I can. Have you ever approached someone and had them say "omg, im so glad you came! I needed someone to tell me that my way of life is wrong!"?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
nessie_lee thankyou for your opinions, while I appreciate your standpoint, and appreciate that you are an NCS member, it doesn't change the fact that the people in the hunter building were shoving their paper in my cleavage... if they offer it nicely, and it looks interesting, I say thankyou very much.. if they offer it nicely, and it doesn't look interesting, i say no thanks, if they are rude about shoving it in my face i get pissed off...

While this may not be your view, and its certainly not mine about how to share the message of christianity, this is what happened to me, and this is why i have little respect for those students who are attempting promotion this week

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I would have kept my nose out of this issue, but I tried the "no thanks" approach this morning and they actually stopped me and asked me why. I'm not the type to just walk away or respond harshly, so I had to stand there for a few minutes listening to what this week was about. Then I had to explain that I was agnostic, and finally had to explain why I "chose that path", before apologising and saying that I was late for class.

I have no beef with people handing out pamphlets, but to push people into a corner (especially people like me who find it hard to say "no" to people) is just... beyond rude.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I can't believe they have a whole week dedicated to telling people that the way they live their life is wrong. Pretentious dicks.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha, Josh, last year some churchy person grabbed me, and I started a huge spiel on evolution, you should try that approach next time!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
hey sorry to interrupt ur conversation, but is the station wanabrook or something actually inside the uni?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
hey sorry to interrupt ur conversation, but is the station wanabrook or something actually inside the uni?
Warrabrook is at the university.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
are we talkin bout ncs? i was tempted to get the free bbq, but i once got their pancake thing and they clawed me. i checked them out at the start of the yr and it was NOT my thing.

rific

HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
If you don't know your way from the station, or where the different rooms are, you may want to find a map or get in a little early, the station can be a bit of a hike from... anywhere, so it helps to know where you have to go.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
rific said:
If you don't know your way from the station, or where the different rooms are, you may want to find a map or get in a little early, the station can be a bit of a hike from... anywhere, so it helps to know where you have to go.
oh, how i wish I could rep... I'll compliment instead rific, you are a genuinely nice and helpful person... mwah, snaps to you! -SJ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)