• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No more than 1500 words... (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
explain me this? for a group presentation we have to also submit a word doc about the questions we answer for the assignment.
It says no more than 1500 words but is this applicable to the 10% =/- rule?
i remember something like it does but according to my mathematics, logic says tha tno more means that is the max number and you cannot exceed it.
i cant get to the tutor for this so...a little help?

L

LaraB

klh said:
explain me this? for a group presentation we have to also submit a word doc about the questions we answer for the assignment.
It says no more than 1500 words but is this applicable to the 10% =/- rule?
i remember something like it does but according to my mathematics, logic says tha tno more means that is the max number and you cannot exceed it.
i cant get to the tutor for this so...a little help?

ask...

but usually i've noticed "no more than" = cannot go over 1500,
"maximum" = 10%+/- i allowabl
"around" = better to be slightly over than under...

but yeah - ask to make sure:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It means that it can't go over 1500 words. Some cases for group presentation reports they might say 1500 words or 5 pages.

But the 1500 words doesn't include your reference list.

Jacks

HSC
I always give the 10% either way...chances are you won't need it, and if you do you could always just lie - or amend the word count a bit! hehe. Seriously though either way you'd only have another 150 words, which isn't much room for argument, so I'd stay within the 1500 words, the extra 150 words will most likely only turn out to be something that you can cut. Just be focused and concise and it shouldn't matter. Always ask your tutor directly if in doubt though, just so you know what you're working with! :)

klh

HSC
Thanks all!
I cant get to her through email or otherwise, but yeah if its max 1500 in this one than yeah.
editing sucks, expecially when you have to re-write most of it! this editing role [first time] sucks...now i know how the editor role feels like :( and im never leaving it very late for others again, not that i ever have. teh stress is really annoyign too.

L

LaraB

natstar said:
the +/- 10% is always applicable
i was told by a tutor it's not always.. they can specify no more than 'x' words if they want... just they usually can't b bothered penalising people for going over

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Oh dear theyt still do this in uni *thinks bak to all skool legal assignments which were supposed to be 1500 which ended up as 1800 after major cutting* i can not stick to a word limit to save my life

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Don't worry Melsc, at uni they generally make the word limit so you can write as much as is relevant to the topic of whatever your writing, before you start blabbling and waffling.

Although, in first year, I managed to do a 5000 word essay, but it had no word limit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)