• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

not on the same level __ (2 Viewers)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
okay .. this is my problem .. ii go on this site alot and all yeah .. and well .. people keep saying o yeah the SC is easy as .. 90s 90s 90s .. selective school this .. just study and you'll do fine .. but well .. ii go to a LOCAL yes LOCAL school .. and ii personally think it's CRAP AS ! .. and what ii hear you people say .. just doesnt sound as easy to me .. well .. ii guess you could kinda say im scared or worrying .. & trust me .. ii am ! .. because ii dont believe that im on the same level as MOST of the people in these forums and like yeahh .. let me put it to you in this way .. nearly half my year would probably not be able to go into forums and post threads .. and if they could .. alot of them wouldnt be able to have correct punctuation & grammer .. lols .. that gets on my nerves .. ^^

B35tY

HSC
Agreed. So why bother stress about it? I know that seems hard now, and anyone who has finished the HSC might tell me the exact same thing, but in retrospect, it wasn't that big a deal.

The main thing is to satisfy your parents, IMO. So if they aren't tight, it really means nothing.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
okay .. this is my problem .. ii go on this site alot and all yeah .. and well .. people keep saying o yeah the SC is easy as .. 90s 90s 90s .. selective school this .. just study and you'll do fine .. but well .. ii go to a LOCAL yes LOCAL school .. and ii personally think it's CRAP AS ! .. and what ii hear you people say .. just doesnt sound as easy to me .. well .. ii guess you could kinda say im scared or worrying .. & trust me .. ii am ! .. because ii dont believe that im on the same level as MOST of the people in these forums and like yeahh .. let me put it to you in this way .. nearly half my year would probably not be able to go into forums and post threads .. and if they could .. alot of them wouldnt be able to have correct punctuation & grammer .. lols .. that gets on my nerves .. ^^
why does it matter if you're at a selective school or a local school doing the SC?
And it doesn't matter if you're on the same level - SC is practically a basic skills test. Plus you get 50 marks for free anyways.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
its not just the SC .. ii was just using that as an example .. although it is a lil problem for me .. because if ii cant even cope with that .. then how would ii cope with the HSC ? .. plus my parents do expect alot .. im asian and like im expected to do medicine and all that .. so like yeahh .. and plus .. ii dont know what goals ii have .. like ii totally have no support from my teachers .. they have no hope in us and dont even bother .. & yes it is practically all basic skills .. but well .. its funny kos like those MCI tests .. ii cant do very well in them .. like yeah sure ii could pass .. but ii want to do well .. not just SC .. but just in all my exams and all .. thanks for your advice thoughh ..

kathrynso

HSC
My liltte Asian friend. Im asian too. Ok so I wanted to do medicine... for a very long time, i still do. One day Australia's leading pathologist! Lol anyways. I know parents are very scary when it comes to your future. But seriously, once you are older you will begin to make your own decisions.

Mother thinks it's pointless for me to do dance [look at my subjects its the only one thats odd] she thinks i'm going to go nowhere with it. But i will!
What I'm saying is that, I know you want to do well, cause you stated that, and you will when you put in the effort to do well. Simply thinking that you want to well is not going to do anything, you must act on it. [SRC teacher's words]
And you will cope, it just takes time tofind out what works best for you.

I went through so many stages wondering what on earth do i want to do... still is changing. and so will yours. So don't fret just yet.

Good luck with your SC.

James747

HSC
As hong kong's minister of education (lol!) says, "It's not the marks that matter, its the knowledge you've gained"

I can say I'm in the same situation as you. Public School. Surrounded by dummies :p But I guess it's only when you get ur skool cert will you only realise how useless it is....

Perhaps its just an "asian" thing to always excel in studies......mainly cuz of pressure from parents. Fortunately, my parents aren't like that ^^ But good luck and just try ur hardest and there's nothing to feel sad about even if you do bad.

tau281290

HSC
James747 said:
As hong kong's minister of education (lol!) says, "It's not the marks that matter, its the knowledge you've gained"
u mean the cliched saying 求*不是求分數?

tau281290

HSC
Sorry i don't think this forum can display chinese properly...it may be unreadable

lala2

Banned
HSC
The only characters I know there are 'bu shi' or 'isn't' lol, I should improve my 'hwa yi'

PrettyVacant

HSC
Well, I'm a nerd. So be my study buddy. :) I'll give you my nerd cooties.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
LottoX said:
I don't see why you need to study so hard for Year 10. Years 11 and 12 are a totally different level, so you can't really say it's practice, and I've seen a lot of people burn out before they get into Year 12 from studying too hard.much/nerdily. I say do what's smart and peak when it counts.
It's is all very well and good to say that now having the advantage of hindsight. But if you think back to when you were sitting the SC you may or may not of thought that and at that moment in time it was the most important thing happening in your life. Although I believe like you that although its good to start building study practices in years 10 & 11 (something I never did) you want to try and plan yourself to peak in year 12 even if that means people begin to under estimate your ability.

To the OP it really doesn't matter what type of school you go to for the SC, selective, public or otherwise. Although the competition and drive maybe increased at selective and private schools it doesn't mean that you are not on the same level. I am sure with a little bit of study and practice of past paper you will surely increase your marks to where you want them for the SC. I know its hard not to but try not to worry so much, as if you don't do as well as you would like in the SC its the HSC that counts. Good Luck!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Enjoy year 10(although year 10ers fucking suck). Why waste your time on something that won't even have any impact on you, except maybe some "bragging rights" for a few days.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
u aren't alone in that situation. i was pressured to st udy all the time in SC to get a good mark. didn't work .. i got mediocre marks. trust me .. wasn't a pretty sight at home. . .

but the studying did help me with one thing, it helped me get accustomed to studying and made me not get lazy in terms of studying (though, i've slackened off a bit lately).

yeah .. i was nervous in yr 10 about the school certificate. but i guarantee you, once u look back at yr 10 .. you'll wonder why u were nervous about it when the big obstacle is infront of u: teh hsc.

i knw it wont happen immediately, but don't stress about it ^^ ..
this is part of a process in life where we experience both failures and success!

oh and btw, when i studied in yr 10, my results were the same as my friends .. probably even worse. but i kept my constant study scheme while they bludged throughout the hsc and now im beating them .. makin' them eat the dust. :)
so yeah .. don't slacken off studying even if u don't get great marks!

PrettyVacant said:
Well, I'm a nerd
and a cute one at that! lawl lawl ... go nerds!!! FTW

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Sif try to pick up on BOS ;)
sifn't! :)

or are u jealous eH? :p
doess poor lil soulsearch wanna be recognised ? haha

u gotta give me some credit though!! ;P :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)