• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not particularly happy with my Physics mark (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
I'm trying to express my opinion in my recent physics exam completed as the end of term 1: I didn't do well :mad2:

My mark was 34/55 and I knew I could have done better in the exam however silly mistakes prevented me from getting good marks and multiple choice was very difficult to comprehend as there were many 'curve balls' which tricked even the most intelligent students.

My rank was 12/29-31 in a ranked 79 school (2011) from 63 (2010) - my physics rank sounds average despite my abysmal mark because everyone didn't reach their optimum performance. The highest mark was 43 (scored by 2 people) and 9-10 people scored between 35-38/55

Also, this assessment that was completed as a 1.5 hour exam weighed 10% (not too much, but it still plays a role within student ranks).

So, is my goal for a band 6 in HSC Physics still reachable as a result of the outcome for this assessment?

I made many silly mistakes... What are the key methods to minimise them? One of them is practice, as stated by many students in my class, but since my school has limited resources, it is difficult. Which books should I invest in to help me find good practice?

As well, my teacher is not a good physics teacher and everyone in our class has made it clear that these poor marks have been a result of her lazy attitude to teach the subject e.g. when we ask her a question, she tells us to "look it up" :angryfire:. She does not go through the work clearly, and doesn't successfully provide us guidance (for upcoming exams etc). Could that be a reason for my poor mark?

Thank you BOSers for reading!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Well considering nothing form prelim counts towards your HSC, you can still get a band 6.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Well considering nothing form prelim counts towards your HSC, you can still get a band 6.
This. Its bad you got a bad mark, but look over your exam - find out where you went wrong, why you went wrong, and how to fix it. Learning from your mistakes may sound cliche but its true - you'll be on the look out for those mistakes next time and you won't make them again next time. And its better than you find these things out in prelim rather than in your HSC year. Of course a band 6 is still possible. Try doing more practice questions so you are more familiar with questions and what you should include for your answers so minimise errors. Good luck :)

dakotah

HSC
Gosh here I was thinking someone else screwed up their physics half yearly. Then the prelim glared me in the face.

You also have to realise that that is still a strong mark overall for physics, it's a hard subject but if your aiming for band 6, then as Kimyia said, do the past papers to start to recognise where you go wrong so you can catch yourself doing it. Ask your teacher if they have any tips to avoid silly mistakes. Teachers are your best friend in your HSC years.

Also: Yugioh = cool. Spinoffs, not so much.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You should improve by the start of the HSC (when marks begin to count) if you want that Band 6.

Preliminary marks are not carried over so yeah. Don't worry too much about ranks and marks but rather the foundation required. (but yes ranks and marks partially indicate your level of understanding but not fully)

qwerty44

HSC
Do you write your own notes using the syllabus and textbook, or do you just rely on your teacher?

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
I wrote my own notes (according to the syllabus) but most of them didn't come in handy in MC but some was useful in the short answers section

Also in short answer there was a practical and I lost many marks in discussing the reliability of the experiment (angle of refraction calculated via a light box) which I didn't expect to turn up in the exam... Hence I didn't study for that one

Overall I made 7-8 silly mistakes which would have given me a much higher rank (3-4) and I will use this experience as a reminder to work hard by practicing questions!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I wrote my own notes (according to the syllabus) but most of them didn't come in handy in MC but some was useful in the short answers section

Also in short answer there was a practical and I lost many marks in discussing the reliability of the experiment (angle of refraction calculated via a light box) which I didn't expect to turn up in the exam... Hence I didn't study for that one

Overall I made 7-8 silly mistakes which would have given me a much higher rank (3-4) and I will use this experience as a reminder to work hard by practicing questions!

That's it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)